36 | do we have a deal?

I stand against the doorframe with my fist raised as I knock on the door and to my surprise, he comes to open it rather quickly. Sandy blonde hair dangles right above a pair of surprised eyes that share the same shade as coffee. His cheeks seem puffy from sleep while his lips form a natural pout. I should have known better than to come here at this hour.

"What are you doing here Evelyn?" Sam asks, running his fingers through his unruly. "Does Jimin know you're here?" He gestures me to come inside and once I do so; he shuts the door behind us.

I don't even know what the hell I'm doing here.

I pace further into his home like a zombie, my eyes taking in the red bricked walls, the two bicycles that are hanging from the wall close to the window. One of them is an antique bronze bicycle with a deep brown leather seat and thin tires, while the other one is a black mountain bike. I don't sit on his sofa, because I'm drenched and Sam comes to me with a towel.

"Thanks," I say when he hands it to me and I start drying my hair. As I tilt my head towards the side, I'm facing the book shelve and my gaze falls on a specific picture frame of Sam, Jimin, Taehyung and Dylan at one of the trips they took last year to Mexico. It's the only trip they have taken as a group and in all honesty, I really wanted to join them, but I was facing some personal issues at the time and not to mention my insecurities started to surface around that time, so I had a fight with Jimin right before he left. Something about him getting with other girls while he was away and that he would leave me; I cringe just by thinking about it.

I was such a terrible person.

Scratch that.

I still am.

When he came back from that trip, I promised to pick him up from the airport and as soon as I saw him walking through the doors with his suitcase rolling behind him and that diamond smile, I immediately thought to myself; why the hell did I ever doubt him? Why would my mind stick like a magnet to such negative thoughts, always trying to find the worst in every situation, because there he was acting all giddy and silly with his friends while I screw things up repeatedly. When something good happens to him, I always find a way to make him miserable. I always find something wrong, something small, something non existent and then give him hell about it. I wonder how the hell he tolerated me back then.

I was toxic.

"If you want you can borrow one of my shirts?" Sam suggests and I shake my head.

Because I still haven't returned one of his shirts.

"So, are you going to tell me why the hell did you come knocking at my door at midnight?" He finally asks, this time his tone getting lighter than before. "You look like shit."

I snort. "I feel like shit."

"What happened?"

"I had a fight with Jimin," I groan.

"It wouldn't be the first time." He mutters. "But I can tell that it's more than that."

He sure has a keen eye on things. "I needed money."

Sam's eyes widen at what I just said. "And what part of asking money from your ex exactly seemed like a reasonable idea?"

"Shut up, I didn't have any other choice." I snap. "I don't trust anyone other than him. Besides, I'm desperate."

"Then what are you doing here?" I bite my lip and he notices, so I avert my gaze. "How much do you need?"

"Five grand."

"Holy shit, that's a lot of money." He comments. "Why do you even need that kind of money?"

"That's...personal." I murmur.