43 - "Did you do that to yourself?"

TW mentions of self-harm

{ Kiara POV }

As I walked past the beach I felt the cool breeze rush through my curls. It was honestly quite a warm night, considering it was November.

I looked over at the crashing waves when I spotted something on the sand, holy shit is that JJ? I'd recognise that person from over a mile away.

"JJ!" I rushed up to him and he quickly shot up covering his face with his arms.
"Fu- Jesus Kie, don't-don't do that to me" he held onto his chest breathing heavily.

His voice was off as if he had been crying.

"Wha- why are you here?" I questioned
"Well I could ask you the same thing" he replied, sweeping sand off his face.

I looked at the boy, what happened to him? The dark circles under his eyes were so big they looked like bruises, he looks like he hasn't slept a day in his life. He had also gotten alot skinnier.

His breathing was unsteady and literally sounded like he was choking on tears.

"What happened?" I asked him
"N-nothing" he replied quickly

"You wouldn't be out here crying if something hasn't happened"

"Kiara, have you ever stopped to think that maybe I miss my fucking best friend" he snapped at me

"I know I know, sorry" I sighed

"Fucking gold, I wish it never existed" he hit the sand with his fists causing lots of tiny grains to fly up.

"Hey, hey please don't hurt yourself" I gently took his hands but he flinched them away from me.

"Stop" he grumbled.

"Did you- did you do that to yourself?" I pointed to the cuts and scars on his arms and wrists.

He went silent and looked down to the ground.

"I- uh... yeah I did, I'm so sorry.." he whispered

My heart dropped. Why would he do this? This is the same boy who less than a few months ago would've mocked people who did that to themselves.

I was lost for words but he slowly bent his head down into my lap and silently cried.
"It's o-"
"You better not say okay" he snapped, his voice all muffled.

"Fine I'm here for you, alright. But please you gotta stop doing this, I need you-we need you, are you listening to me?" I said, stroking his tangled hair.

He nodded. My own eyes prickled with tears, this really hurt seeing him like this. Rewind to a few months ago we wouldn't even dream that he would ever do this, he just wasn't that type of person.

We sat like that for a few minutes, his head  resting on my lap as tears streamed down his cheeks, I was close to crying aswell.

"We need you, you know that right?" I told him.
"Do you though?" He asked, sitting up straight again.

"Yes JJ, look I know we don't always act like it but you really are the glue to our crew, well what's let of it atleast"

"There is no more crew... I'm just a third wheel"

"Look just because Pope and I are together it doesn't make you a third wheel alright?"

He rolled his eyes.

He than turned and his eyes bared straight down into my own.
"What?" I asked, confused as hell.

He ignored me and his gaze fluttered between my lips and back to my eyes again.
I don't know why but I got the sudden urge to push forward and kiss him.