California

Kayli's POV

My phone suddenly started ringing. I pulled it out of my pocket and checked the caller ID. It wasn't a blocked number, but I didn't know who it was. I picked up to a sobbing woman. "Austin..." She said. "He jumped." And then she hung up. Everything around me slowed down. Time. People. Life. Why does everyone I love have to be so screwed up sometimes? I smiled wryly. I was too, now that I think about it. I couldn't cry anymore though. I couldn't feel tears falling down my face. I didn't feel bad about that. I felt a dull emptiness inside me. And that dull emptiness, that's what hurt me more than anything else. I stared out of the window and thought about him. Why did he jump? I didn't understand. Why would he even think of that? For some reason my mind strayed to Mint's hesitance when I asked her who sent the message. She said she didn't know but...right after she got the message, he jumped off the building. I couldn't understand what happened, but just then, a connection was made.

Tell me secrets, cause I know you're scared
And you dream, of California tonight
If you wait up, I can meet you there
And we could be in California
When everything that I can see goes, dark
I feel you here with me
And I, I'm holding on to you
When shadows try to swallow me you're the
Only light I'll ever need
And I, I'm holding on to you.
Tell me all this, was another life
And what it's like, I'm California tonight
Where the sun sets, in a perfect sky
I wanna be, in California, tonight.

Mint's POV

I held my head still on the Heard hospital pillow and stared ahead, thinking of the terrible lie I'd just told. She probably wouldn't figure out it was him, and this could go by harmlessly. Of course, with my luck, he'd go off and do some stupid shit to get him done for. God, all of my carefulness would go to waste. I'm going through a crisis here and if he does something to make this for nothing I'm going to murder him. Soon, Kayli walks into the room. "Austin jumped off a building," She tells me blankly. Unemotionally. Well, I guess no killing would have to be done on my part. I held my arms out and she came over to me, crawling into the bed next to me and snuggling into my chest. I put my chin on her head and stared at the television, seeing nothing. Damnit.

Austin's POV

I had no clue what was going on, and that pissed me off. Not because I didn't know, but BECAUSE there was something going on. 'Something' isn't supposed to happen when you're dead. So, I'm not dead. And that's why I was pissed. I felt hands all over my body, my wrists, my chest, my legs. People talking in hushed tones. I tried to move away from the intruding limbs, it I had to bite my lip to keep from groaning. Everything hurt terribly. Death was supposed to be peaceful, but no, I was stuck with whatever the fuck this was, and whatever 'this' was, hurt like hell's fire times ten. I opened my eyes but shut them quickly as offensive bright lights assaulted my eyes. This was not going to be fun.

A/N: Damnit Austin why do you continue to live. Just for Kayli. *Loud sigh* Love it? Hate it? Leave me some feedback so I can criticise your criticism! I'm so done with this story.