chapter 24

"How can you say you can't wash this clothes and dry it now?" I heard someone holler at our entrance and I scrunched up my face. I shared a look with Crystal who had been styling her natural hair for almost an hour now.

"I can't do it, you don't allow me to use the washing machine," I heard Juliana respond and I got on my feet. Crystal joined me and we both headed out, immediately we opened the door, our eyes widened as Karen landed a hot slap on Juliana's face.

Our mouths hung open in shock while Juliana blinked her eyes.

"Did you just slap me?" She asked as she placed her hand on her cheeks.

"Yes and I'll still slap you again if you refuse to wash the clothes now!" She yowled as she stood akimbo.

"I already explained to you that I have a lesson to attend now and you want me to wash something you don't need now, you're only trying to look for trouble, it's obvious you won't need this clothes until some days later and you want me to wash it now when I explained myself clearly to you, are you in your right senses?" Juliana shouted and I knew she was losing her cool, she wasn't someone to get angry easily but if she should, hell with let loose.

"Are you asking me that? Do you realize you're talking to me sha?" Karen shrieked and Juliana clapped her hands while Crystal moved closer to her trying to calm her down but the Juliana I know wouldn't listen.

"Who are you? No, what are you? It's not like you're the real boss in this house, you're only leeching off another person, you're just a thief, stop trying to be what you're not, you ignoramus!"

Karen's face turned red as vein popped up in her head and I prayed she wouldn't burst, just as she raised her hand to slap Juliana again, someone held her hand and we all swung our gaze to the person.

Tise gave Karen a warning look as she glared at him.

"What's going on here?" A voice queried. It wasn't Tise so, we all swung her gaze to the direction of the voice only for our eyes to widen to its fullest extent.

Madam.

Tise's mother.

I haven't set my eyes on the woman in the past few weeks.

"Nothing," Tise responded as he dropped Karen's hand and she quickly ran up to Tise's mother with a teary eyes.

"What do you mean nothing?" The madam asked again before Karen started rumbling.

"I told this girl to wash my clothes and she insisted she couldn't do that, she kept on insulting me and almost slapped me," Karen pointed at Juliana who now looked scared.

Madam's face contorted as she turned to Juliana who was now looking down, "Young lady, look up," she ordered and Juliana slowly raised her head.

"What are you in this house?"

"A worker," Juliana responded slowly and the woman shook her head.

"What exactly are you in this house?"

"A maid."

Karen clung unto her shoulders while I resisted the urge to glare at me, Madam nodded before talking, "Good, why else are you a  maid if it's not to wash the clothes, what will it take you to dump the clothe in the washing machine and dry it?"

Juliana looked down in embarrassment without responding.

"Know your place in this house, I don't want it repeating itself again, okay?"

"Okay ma," Juliana nodded like an agama lizard and I stifled a laughter.

"Tise, I'll like to speak to you," His mother turned to him.