chapter 23

I ended up going home with Tise who offered to drop Keyshia off too as Kike had left earlier on, though I was worried about her but the mischievous look and smirks my friends gave me as I entered Tise's car somehow lightened my mood, they'd decided to go home with Tumi.

Throughout the ride, silence reigned and all I could do was think about how Kike was faring, immediately we got to her place, I got down from the car with Keyshia. The door was opened so we didn't have to knock but as we got to Kike's room, my worry increased.

We knocked on her door several times before she eventually opened and went back to her bed without saying a word to us. Her room was now scattered, certainly she'd destroyed the flower pot by her bedside in anger, I knew how much she cherished the flower pot even though we always mocked her about it. She looked dishelved with a swollen eyes, it was Crystal clear that she'd been crying and somehow I felt the urge to laugh and tried so hard to contain it. So, Kike really did have a heart.

"Are you okay?" Keyshia queried and the glare she sent her way almost made me run out of the room.

"Kike..." I called but she cut me off.

"Can you guys just leave? I need to be alone," she said in a pleading tone and I sighed before taking Keyshia's hand then we left the room.

After hearing the lock, I turned to Keyshia, "Can you look over her?"

She bobbed her head, "Sure, you don't have to worry."

"I hope so, call me if anything goes wrong, okay?"

She nodded again and I hugged her before hurrying out of the house as it was already late and with the estate being a graveyard, I had to leave quickly. I was shocked to see Tise's car immediately I stepped out of the house, truth be told, I believed he'd gone home after dropping us off.

"You're still here?"

"Obviously, I couldn't leave you all to yourself," he responded and I forced out a small smile before entering the car. He started the car soon enough and we drove out of Kike's place as silence descended again.

We got to the house some minutes later and just as I made to open the door, I felt Tise's hand on my shoulder and I turned back to him with a questioning look.

"Umm..." He scratched his neck and I scrunched my brows.

"Is anything wrong?"

He shook his head before clearing his throat, "Nothing, I just want you to know that I found you the best place for the JAMB lesson."

My sour mood lit up that instant, "Really?" But it soon became sour again when he informed me Amara had helped with it. Like did I ask for his help?

"You don't look excited," he pointed out and I just hope I could roll my eyes even if it's for that period alone.

"I'm grateful about it, so, what's the fee?"

He scratched his neck again and I creased my brows.

"I already helped with the registration and your friends aren't exempted too, so, you guys need not worry about the fee."

What! My eyes widened.

"Why? Why would you help with the fee?" My voice rose and he looked taken aback.

"I just felt the need to," he responded and I scoffed.

"You just felt the need to? Because, we are charity case, right? Do we look like beggars? Why did you worry yourself about that? The fact that we're working in your house doesn't mean we are that poor!" I vented and he blinked his eyes.