chapter 18

TISE

I was at the garden editing my work when I heard the ruffles of the leaves. Looking at the direction, mom wore a big smile as she approached me with a tray. Just how on earth did she find me?

She dropped the cup filled with juice by my side before sitting at the opposite bench with her champagne flute.

"I heard you're writing a script for a new web series," she started with a wide smile as the sun shone on her face making her look beautiful. Even though she was going to be fifty soon, she didn't look a day over thirty, thanks to her skincare and beauty treatment.

She'd been so focused on her beauty treatment that she never had time for any business and now she looked more interested in the business.

"Yeah," I replied succinctly.

"That's good," she commented and I turned back to my laptop.

"The lawyer will come over to read your father's will tomorrow," she announced and my hand stopped typing as I raised my head to look at her.

"Why all of a sudden?"

It wasn't done after Dad's death so why now when it's almost a year. None of his family members were interested in the will so far they were well off so they didn't demand for the will to be read or even give mother any problem. We didn't ask for our share of his properties so, why?

She sipped from her wine before replying, "Just thought it would be better that way, it's been more than since months since your father's death."

"And your husband's death," I completed and she furrowed her brows before crossing her legs.

"Oluwatise, did I offend you? You've been so cold to me ever since your father's death, did I do anything wrong?"

"You know it within yourself," I turned to focus on my work but she talked. I wonder how she was fine with everything, she doesn't even show any ounce of guilt at all. Is that how heartless she is?

"What do you mean? Is it because I have a boyfriend? Don't you want me to be happy? I need to move on from your father's death so, you can't just expect me to keep on brooding over his death."

"I understand," I shut down the laptop after realizing there was no way I could concentrate.

She smiled, "Well, if you understand that, why don't you want him to become the chairman?"

I looked at her with contempt but she pretended not to notice.

"It isn't my decision to make but the board of directors, I guess you couldn't convince them right?"

She dropped the champagne flute by her side and folded her arms.

"I'll be inviting the Chinedu for dinner tomorrow, you know what it's about right? If he's on our side and you and Tumi cooperate, Karen's father will be able to become the chairman," she enunciated.

"Not even CEO but Chairman, how ambitious could a thief be?" I mocked and she glared at me.

"I hope Mr.Chinedu will be on our side," she continued and I sighed.

"Why are you saying this to me? You know how much we hate your boyfriend and there's no way we'll be on your side, just drop it okay?"

She heaved before responding, "Tise, why do you hate him?"

I kept mute as I tried to contain my anger then she continued.

"Is it because I'm dating him? I met him before your dad so he means so much to me."