Chapter 1

I'm doomed.

Doomed for life.

The words kept on replaying in my mind as I stared at my hands, I stood rooted for some seconds before I came back to my senses; my life just ended. Upon realization, I slumped on the floor before bursting into tears.

Just how on earth did it happen? When? Everything had been going right or is it wrong?

Going down memory lane, it all started some months back.
...
The moans and other sounds coming from the other room made me peel my eyes open. Just when will someone have a peaceful sleep in this house? I groaned before picking up my phone from the bedside drawer, it was only four o'clock but then I had to clean the bar and prepare our meal before preparing for work.

I got up reluctantly while trying to block off the sounds coming from the other room. Kneeling beside my bed, I looked at my younger sister who was sound asleep and I instantly felt jealous; she'd always been able to sleep peacefully no matter the noise whenever she didn't have any crisis, even while customers trooped in at night with music blasting everywhere, Keyshia still slept soundly unlike me who finds it hard to sleep at the slightest sound of noise, main reason I rarely sleep for seven hours straight.

After my normal morning devotion which I extended for thirty minutes due to the fact that I was up early. I walked out of the room before my eyes scattered around the common room that was as dirty as a pigsty, I was already used to the sight that always greeted me every morning, then I headed to the bar for my normal early morning routine; though we were three working at the bar but because I was the only one that lived here, I had to do the cleaning which in turn gave me the liberty to only serve at night.

An hour later, I was done with both cleaning and cooking so, I decided to take my bath, by that time, other occupants were already waking up. While dressing up, my elder sister strolled into the room and I sighed, apparently she was here for her early morning speech.

"You're already getting prepared for your useless work?" She jested while sitting on my side of the bed.

Too bad I couldn't roll my eyes, my elder sister had been the only one to inherit that act and she always ensured she taunted me with it.

"Kike, don..."

She cut me off, "It's Beauty."

"As if that's amongst your names," I scoffed and she rolled her eyes.

"It's what I want and you have to follow it," she insisted and I pursed my lips.

"Whatever," I waved my hand before turning the dressing stool to her.

I opened my mouth to talk but she beat me to it, "See, K.Y, you don't have to stress yourself by going to that workplace again, it's not like the pay is even up to your salary at the bar..."

I cut in, "So, what's your point?"

"My point is you know the real source of money instead of all this you're doing, K.Y, this is Nigeria, Education doesn't matter anymore, many graduates are unemployed, so, what's the essence of going to the uni? Just join me."

I sighed, "We've talked about this countless times, sorry to say but I can't join in the nonsense you call a job, Beauty, you know I can't do that, it's better I engage in a clean job, save and go to the uni than this your own shortcut that is unclean, you know wherever mummy is, she can never be happy with the nature of your job."

She rolled her dark eyes that was just like Keyshia's while mine was brown and I felt like plucking it out, it was one of our assets aside our light and flawless skin that served as an object of envy for others most especially Kike's colleagues who all hated her because she was the most beautiful of all whom all customers sought after. Ever since she started working at the brothel and since we've been living there, Kike had become the most priced worker and at such earn more than others who only seem like a second option to the customers. Another reason Kike was obsessed with her beauty and body, the girl spends more than half a million just on her beauty treatments.