chapter 17

So why chemistry?

  I blinked twice as I read the message. We hadn't been able to complete our discussion earlier because Juliana had called to inform me that Kike and Keyshia were around, so, I hurried away. And now that he wanted to continue the discussion, it looked absurd.

I glanced at Juliana and Crystal who were playing Ludo with full concentration, I'd been playing with them earlier until I lost which was still funny to me 'cause I always beat Kike and Keyshia in the game even Juliana who is now feeling herself because she won this time.

I've always loved the idea of mixing chemicals and finding out about it's composition. It's such an interesting subject and it's my best subject. Funny enough, I'm only excellent at Chemistry.

After clicking the send button, I dropped my phone to ease myself. I glanced at Crystal and Juliana who looked so serious with the game. After doing my business in the toilet, I walked up to them.

"Why are you guys so serious?" I inquired.

Crystal looked up at me while Juliana still fixed her gaze on the game, it wasn't until I smacked her head that she reacted with a scowl.

"Are you okay?" She eyed me and I eyed her in return.

"You guys look so serious with that game," I pointed out.

"We made a bet," Juliana replied.

"The loser cleans the room throughout the week and prepare our meals too, you know it's Juliana's turn this week and she's hoping I'll lose,"Crystal explained with a sheepish smile.

"Juliana has always been a lazy thing," I joked and she eyed me.

They returned their focus to the game while I went back to my bed. Picking up my phone, I realized Tise had sent me another message which made it seem surreal to me. He'd been behaving somehow friendly since the beginning of the day and I wonder why.

That's nice. I'm only excellent at maths and physics too and I must admit that your dream is unique.

I smiled before responding.

So I heard, Tumi told me you couldn't help her with her assignment and thanks for complimenting my dream.

His response came in few seconds later.

Thanks for helping her with her assignment. She got everything right. You're even better than Gbemi's boyfriend.

Turns out my chemistry brain was still intact. It would have been so embarrassing if she'd gotten any question wrong. The mention of Zayd's name made me somehow annoyed, though I'd gotten over him which was surprisingly fast but then whenever I come across his name, I still get annoyed and yeah I was better than him in chemistry, though he'd been the best student in my set but I always passed chemistry than him. Reminds me of how we got close, he'd needed help in Chemistry and I'd agreed to tutor him.

So have you been able to save up for your education?

I shook my head while calculating the money I had in my account. I'd received the first month's payment so I had up to ₦200, 000 which was still little.

I'm still saving up. I plan to take the next JAMB.

Crystal's scream made me look up from my phone as she ran to me in ecstacy.

"I won," she shouted and I smiled while Juliana glared at the both of us.

"So, that means Juliana will still do her chores?" I questioned and Juliana hissed while Crystal stuck out her tongue.