What's a parent to do?

Authors note: This one is shorter than usual but I felt like Sam and Colleen needed a chance to show how they felt with everything that's going on.

Chapter 31 

Thursday, November 28th

"You're grounded." 

I'm sorry, what?

Was it Pidge or did she actually just get grounded for telling her parents that she was being followed? Not that she was following anyone. Not that she had broken into someone's home. But that someone was following her. 

For some reason that apparently gave her parents probable cause to incarcerate her inside her own home. 

"We aren't grounding you as a punishment, Katie. It's for your safety," the commander said as he sat on the coffee table edge along with his wife. Both of them were looking quite displeased with what they were having to tell and do with their daughter but at that moment the brunette didn't care how they felt. She was pissed. Who grounded their child when they had obviously done nothing wrong?! 

Pidge scoffed, "My safety? How is grounding me going to keep me safe?" What kind of backwards logic were they trying to use on her? 

"Sweetheart, we want you home where we can keep an eye on you," Colleen said as she placed a comforting hand on her daughter's knee. The brunette moved the appendage off though as she pulled her legs up onto the couch with herself. She didn't want to be consoled. Not by one of the people who were taking her freedom. 

Sam sighed with clear exhaustion for the situation straining his features. She wouldn't be surprised if the man needed a nap. They hadn't gotten home until that early morning and not even the sun had been up when they awoke her to give hugs and love. Keith had actually been the one to help them in with their stuff seeing as he agreed to stay with her the night before so that Lance could wake up with his family on Thanksgiving. 

Which was a blessing in and of its own because after being in the field and saying what she did, Pidge didn't think sharing a house, much less a bed, would have been good for the obvious tension that seemed to stew in between them. 

"Katie, you can be mad at us all you want. But the rules will stick and you will abide by them." 
Of course she would. She had never gone against her parents and she wouldn't start then.  

But that didn't mean she wasn't going to put up some kind of fight. "Whether you feel like this is best for me or not, it's still a punishment! How is keeping me on some metaphorical leash going to help?!" Her tone was loud and snippy but not quite to the point of yelling. "Just because some creep finds me interesting does not mean I should have to give up having a life." 

"We aren't asking you to give up on being yourself or hanging out with your friends. We just want you with us so we can make sure you'll be alright," said her mother, trying to reason with her as best as she could. Usually the calm and soothing voice the woman used made her feel better and at ease but right then, it felt like the enemy. She didn't want to be placated. Pidge just wanted her parents to stop overreacting. "So you will go to school and you will come home, immediately. At least until this person is caught or you stop seeing him." 

What about her days at the diner with Lance? What about the upcoming game they had or the late Friday practices. What about- "The dance! Formal! Will I still be able to go?!" It was shocking to her that she cared more about the stupid event then she did everything else. 

"We will see how things go." That was a maybe. She had already bought her dress and found shoes. She had everything she needed minus some accessories and they were telling her that there was still a chance that she wouldn't be able to attend!  What about Lance?! He had planned out such a sweet proposal just for her and it could go to waste all because of something that she couldn't control!