Chapter 12

The family ran around the kitchen the next morning. Kian had a few weeks off for recovery and was staying home. Haley had to go to work and take Farrah to daycare.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Haley asked as she headed out the door.
"Don't worry. I'll be fine." He said.
"I left your medication on the kitchen table. It's just enough for today. You can take a dose at bedtime tonight if you have to."
"Thanks." Kian said, kissing Haley and Farrah goodbye, but feeling nervous about needing to take the pills.

Kian sat at the table for a long time, looking at the white pill in his hand. A glass of water was next to it. He just needed it to take the edge off of his broken leg, not to get high. It seemed like enough justification. He took a deep breath, popped it in his mouth, and gulped down his water. He read the printout that had dosing instructions that Haley had left on the table. One dose should last until that night.

He had tried reading his book and magazine, but he couldn't concentrate. He had tried watching TV, but his mind kept drifting to the pills that Haley had hidden somewhere. The first day was painful. He couldn't even move his leg without a pain spasm shooting up his leg and into his stomach. To take his mind off of it, he tried shaving. He felt more alert now.
He took the dose for at night when he went to bed with Haley. She was worried about him.

"Was today okay?" She asked.

"Rough, but I pulled through. I'm so lucky to have you." He said, kissing her cheek.

"I'm sorry we had to put off getting a scan." Haley said.
"Don't worry about it. You were almost three months pregnant with Farrah when we found out. We can wait a while for this one." Kian said. "Your baby is safe and healthy."

"We'll love it no matter what." Haley said.

"Not that we don't want a healthy baby." Kian remarked.

"Stop worrying. We're fine." Haley said.
They turned out the light and went to sleep.