Chapter 9

The next few days came fast. Haley had asked Kian almost at the last minute to pick up Farrah. He was glad he wasn't working a late shift that day. Haley had got out before he did, but she had wanted to go grocery shopping and get a head start on dinner. He was still a little in a daze about Haley telling him about being pregnant again.

Maybe that was what was on his mind. Maybe it was the several surgeries he had set up for the next day. He didn't see the speeding car until it was too late. He swerved, hearing the screeching tires. The front end crumpled when it hit the retaining wall.

When Kian opened his eyes, he could barely breathe from the airbag hitting his chest. He could feel blood running down his forehead. He tried to move his legs to get out, but they felt like lead. The last thing he saw was the cracked phone screen with the picture of him with Haley and Farrah. Would he hold them again?

Jac was almost finished with some paperwork when her phone rang. She picked it up.

"Hello?" She asked, thinking it was regular call. A familiar male voice was on the other end.

"Jac, it's Sacha, get ahold of Haley; you're the only other person I could think of."

"What's wrong?" She asked her friend.

"It's Kian. I'm sorry, but he was in an accident."

"Is he....."Jac started to say, shooting out of her chair and going for the door.

"He's alive."

Jac bumped into Nicky as she bolted down the hall.

"Ms. Naylor?" Nicky asked, surprised

"Kian was in an accident. We have to tell Haley." Jac said hurriedly.

"We...?"

"You're her best friend." Jac pointed out.

Nicky was dreading calling Haley. She had been with her when Farrah was born, and the maid of honor at Haley and Kian's wedding. How would she tell her? Nicky was caught off guard when Haley answered the phone sounding really happy. Nicky told her the best way she could and the sob she heard on the other end broke her heart.
Haley made it to Holby as fast as she could. Nicky, Jac, and Fletch were all waiting for her. They all clustered around her, and Fletch sat Haley down.

"Farrah...Kian was going to pick her up...." Haley blurted out, suddenly remembering.

"Marty picked her up. She's with him; she's safe." Fletch said, sitting next to her.

"I sent Kian to get her because I wanted to go grocery shopping."

"This isn't your fault. It could have happened to anyone. Let's just be thankful that Farrah wasn't with him." Jac said, biting her tongue; Haley didn't need to have that image in her mind.

"Kian is a strong man. He'll pull through this." Fletch told her, trying to comfort her. She nodded, but she couldn't stop the tears.

Haley started breathing heavily, and suddenly she violently threw up. Nicky took her into the bathroom.

"So...sorry..." Haley said, sobbing from the anxiety.

"It's alright." Nicky soothed, patting her back.

"I only just started throwing up...I wasn't like this as bad with Farrah..." Haley trailed off, realizing what she had let slip out. Nicky looked at her, a question on her face.

"You're pregnant again?" Nicky said. This wasn't what anyone expected in a situation like this.

"We only found out a few days ago. We were going to get a scan, but we weren't able to get one this week. It's still really early, so we were going to wait to tell everyone." Haley slowly caved in under the realization; she was carrying the child of a man who might not survive. She was ashamed to be such a mess, but she couldn't help it.
Nicky hugged her.

"No matter what happens, you've got me. You've got Jac, Fletch, Sacha, Marty, and his parents."

Haley and Nicky went back and walked over to the others. Fletch leaned in, and gently took Haley's hand. Haley was still crying, and Jac hugged her. Marty came in then. He had idolized his older cousin and the two of them were very close.

"My mum has Farrah; she's at your house and doesn't have a clue what's going on." He said, sitting down next to Haley.

"What am I going to tell her?" Haley said, looking blankly at the floor.

"Don't think like that." Nicky jumped in. "As far as we know, Kian just has a concussion and a possible leg fracture. There's every possibility that he'll pull through."

Haley breathed deeply, trying to keep positive. No one said anything for a long time.
Finally, Sacha came to see them.

"Kian's fine. His leg is fractured and he will probably have a long recovery time."

"How long?" Haley asked.

"The doctors aren't sure. I guess it depends on how his body heals." Haley sobbed with relief and hugged everyone.

"Can I see him?" She asked.

"Yes, we set him up in a room, but we might keep him here for a day or two to see how he's doing." Sacha said gently. Haley looked at the circle of faces that had rallied around her.

"Jac, Nicky? Can you stay with me?"

"Yes, of course. Jac said, hugging her. "We're not going anywhere."