Chapter 10

Kian woke up slowly, feeling Haley holding his hand. Jac was with her.

"Hey." He said softly, trying to sit up.

"Don't move." Haley said, putting her hands on his shoulders. "Where do you hurt?"

"Everywhere." He said, grimacing.

"Kian, you're going to be alright." She said in his ear. "You're alive." Haley said, tearfully. Kian nodded, holding her hand.

Kian's eyes went to the IV in his hand. He suddenly looked agitated and looked at the bag.

"What did they give me?"

"Just some painkillers during the surgery," Haley said simply, unaware. Kian's eyes went to Jac.

"You didn't tell them?" He said, upset.

"I didn't find out until you were already on the table," Jac said, trying to keep calm.

"Haley? Did you....?"

"They rushed you in so fast..."

"No one told them about my painkiller addiction?" Kian wailed, sounding like he might cry.

"Kian!" No one had to tell him that he was being dramatic. "We didn't know."

Kian looked miserable. He sat up a bit more, trying to get the blankets off.

"No! You need to rest..." Haley began.

"Then tell them to stop the meds," Kian said. "Give me something else if I need it, but I can't."

"Kian, you could have died." Jac said bluntly.

"I can't get anything that strong in my system again!" Kian exclaimed, putting his head in his hands.

Haley sat there, devastated. Kian had told her about his addiction a long time ago, but she never thought a sudden accident would turn her husband's life inside out.

"Can we give him something not as strong? Just enough to get him over the worst?" Haley asked.

"We can try," Jac said. Haley got up to make a call; she had to check on Farrah.

With just him and Jac in the room, Kian spoke up.

"Jac, I have to stay clean."

"Kian,  with your injuries, you're going to need something just to get up in the morning."

Kian took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

"I have to try, Jac. If you have to, make sure it's mild. Just enough for the first few weeks that will be the worst. I could have Haley give me a dose at a time. Please, have it be gradual so I can wean off."

"Kian, are you sure you can do this?" Jac asked.

"I'll stay clean. I have to." Kian said. "I have a wife and kid to look out for. I can't have my life fall apart."  Haley came back into the room.

"You should probably rest." Jac suggested. She gave Haley a supportive hug and left.

"I keep wanting to go home. I need to see Farrah." Kian said to Haley.

"Your coming home soon." Haley said softly, squeezing his hand.