Chapter 2

Kian checked into Holby, heading to the office he shared with his friend Jac. One of the first faces he saw was junior doctor Nicky.

"How's the rest of the family?" She asked him.

"Great. We took Farrah to the forest park this weekend without her pram. She went nuts." Smiling, he pulled up a picture on his phone. It was of Farrah smiling at a yellow and black butterfly. He also showed Nicky a picture of them sitting on a clump of rocks. It was a great family portrait.

"Awww. Farrah's getting big. I can't wait to get together again." Nicky said.

"We might do a small party for Haley's birthday. I have a big surprise planned for her." He really wanted it to be nice, it was in a few weeks.

Kian logged on to his computer, looking up as Jac walked into the office.

"Hello, Madani. Life with a toddler hasn't dulled your senses?"

"You made out okay." Kian said. He and Jac had stayed friends after Haley had named Jac as Farrah's godmother. Jac had been known for her frosty exterior but was genuinely happy when she was with her young daughter, Emma. They had nothing but good things to say about her.

"Emma wants to do a movie night at your house again. Think we can work out a day?"

"Maybe; I'm going to be watching lots of princess movies in the future anyway. I know Haley wanted to help Emma make a craft project."

The day went by fast, and it was time for him to do something he loved; picking up Farrah at daycare.

"Daaaaadeeeeeee!" Farrah squealed as he walked into the daycare center, running as fast as her little toddler legs could carry her. Kian scooped her up, wrapping her in a huge hug. He carried her out to the car.

"How's my girl?" he asked, strapping her into the car seat.

"Good."

"Did you have fun today?"

"Yeah." Kian got into the driver's seat and started the car.

"You ready to go home and make dinner with Mummy?"

"Wan' fruity 'nacks, peas."

"After dinner, sweetie. You know the rules."
"Want....now." Farrah pouted. She even tried smiling at him. It was just like his; sideways, giving a mischievous look.

Kian sighed. Farrah had been acting up a lot lately. Common sense taught both Kian and Haley that the best thing to do was ignore her and not cave into a tantrum.

He heard her kick briefly, and then Farrah started talking to her Teddy Bear. Her moods changed so quickly. It didn't take long for them to be home.

Farrah ran up to the door. Kian opened it, realizing that she could probably get it herself soon.
"Mummy!" she squealed, heading for the kitchen. Kian could smell pork chops pan-frying.

"Dolly! And Daddy too!" Haley replied, turning off the stove and hugging Farrah. Kian set his and Farrah's things down and went over to his wife.

"Good thing I didn't have a late shift....no home-cooked meal." he murmured against Haley's hair.

The cooking was finished soon after, and they got settled down to eat. It was a simple spread of pork chops, green beans, and mashed potatoes. Farrah stabbed at her green beans and ended up spreading the potatoes on the tray of her high chair.

After dinner, Kian took Farrah into the living room while Haley cleaned up. Their evening routine was very simple after Farrah was born. Haley and Kian would take turns nightly doing dishes, playing with Farrah, bathing her, and getting her down to bed with a story.

"Daddy? Story?" Farrah asked, handing Kian a copy of Goodnight Moon.
"Sure, big girl. Let's let Mummy get ready for bed early tonight."

When Farrah was in bed and Haley had tucked her in, read out loud to her. Farrah had her favorites; Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You, and any of the Postman Pat books. He could always tell when she fell asleep by the sound of her gentle breathing.

Kian looked down at his daughter, her little eyes closed.
"Love you, baby girl."

He leaned down and kissed her forehead and went out into the living room.

Haley had taken a quick shower and was curled up on the couch, channeling on the tv for an episode of Midsomer Murders. Kian sat down and put his arms around her.

"Can't believe we've been together for three years." He said. Who knew that a chance meeting in a hospital gift shop would bring together a 39-year-old surgeon and a 27-year-old girl who both needed someone to heal each other's hurt souls.

"I'm so in love with you." He told her, kissing her on the cheek. She kissed him back.

"I love you too. "