Chapter 11

Kian went home with Haley two days later. The bottle of pills was in her purse. Part of him felt like she was doling them out to him like he was a sick person, but he knew it was necessary.

Kian walked into the living room sorely, lowering himself slowly onto the couch. He put his crutches aside. His cast was heavy and uncomfortable. Ironically, it was the one with the scar from his accident on the mountain. It at least felt good to be home. Farrah crawled onto the couch beside him.

"Daddy? Hold?"

"Not today, baby girl. Daddy's not feeling well." Kian said, wishing he could lift her up and hold her close.

"I stay here." Farrah said seriously, grabbing a stuffed animal that had been left on the couch. She curled up against his arm. "I missed you, Daddy."

"I missed you, too, lovey." Kian said to his little girl. He kissed her cheek, feeling her put her little hand on his stubbled chin.

"You scratchy, Daddy! No more kiss."

"Okay, baby." He said, smiling for the first time that day.

"Daddy?" Farrah persisted.

"Yes, Farrah?" Kian said, looking over at his daughter. "Is there something you wanted?"

"I love you."

He and Haley went to bed that night. He was so sore, Haley considered sleeping in the extra bedroom so her moving around wouldn't bother him.
"The scruff's going tomorrow, " he said, trying to lighten the mood. "Our two-year-old doesn't like scratchy kisses." They both laughed.

Haley smiled.
"Kian, we have to talk about what's going on." Haley said, sitting on the bed beside him.

"I know," Kian said. He sighed.

"I was so scared when I got that call about your accident. I thought I would lose you." Haley whispered.
"Don't think about it." Kian said, squeezing her hand. " I'm here with you now."

Kian held her hand until she fell asleep.

I can stay clean if it means keeping my family, he thought. If I relapse, I have everything to lose.