Chapter 3

The day of Haley's birthday came. Kian had been planning a special night out for them all; Nicky, Jac, his cousin Marty, and his Aunt Bibi, Fletch, and Sacha. All of them had been there when Kian and Haley got married. They had become practically a family.

"You look fantastic," Kian said to his wife in the mirror, checking her out.

Haley smiled back. She didn't dress up often, but tonight she was beautiful.

"Mummy! So pretty!" Farrah babbled, walking over to see. Haley scooped her up and Kian wrapped them both in a hug. They were going to make the most of the evening.

They met Nicky and the others at the restaurant. Haley gave Farrah to Kian and hugged her best friend.

"Happy Birthday, love." Nicky said. Jac was unprepared for Farrah lighting up at seeing her.
"Auntie Jac!" She squealed, throwing her arms around the normally icy surgeon. "Love you! When I see Emma?"

Haley smiled, looking at Nicky. "That's the best present of all."

The party wound down and everyone went home. Kian waited until they put Farrah to bed to tell Haley about her actual birthday gift.

"I have a big surprise for you," Kian said cheekily, giving Haley his sideways grin she loved.
"What is it?"
"You know how we didn't get to have an actual honeymoon because of the COVID lockdown?"
"Yes...and if I remember correctly you promised me a weekend trip. Of course, I found out I was pregnant, so that was put on hold."
"Well, I got us a little holiday, for just the two of us."
"Where?" Haley asked, sounding excited.
"A place in Cornwall. A nice little cottage in the woods, not far from the beach."
"What about Farrah?"
"My mom is coming over from Canada. We'll all be able to spend some time together."

For the three years Haley and Kian had been together, she had only talked to her mother-in-law, Mona,  on the phone or over a webcam. Haley had always had the feeling that Mona had wished her son had married a Middle Eastern woman. The two women Kian had been serious with but lost were both white. Mona had been generous enough to give Haley a pair of antique earrings when she and Kian got married and truly seemed happy for her son, but she and her daughter-in-law had never really bonded.

Now things would be different. She would be meeting the woman who gave birth to the man she loved.

"I'd love that. Farrah really needs to actually meet her grandma. We can spend some family time together before we go on our actual honeymoon. Quick question; did you choose Cornwall because I binge-watched Poldark so much?"

"Eh, I might have." Kian said, holding Haley close. He bent his head slightly.

"I love you, babe. Happy Birthday." Kian told her, kissing her on the forehead