Chapter 4

Kian brought his mother home from the airport the next week. The older woman hugged Haley fondly, putting her at ease.

Farrah had always been a delight to those around her. Mona had loved Farrah the moment she saw her adorable granddaughter.

Haley had made a fancy dinner of roast chicken, rice, and candied carrots.

"I hope you like it, Mona. We've been lucky; Farrah's not a picky eater." Haley said.
Farrah was eating with her hands; she still had trouble using her utensils. She was having so much fun that she didn't even realize she'd gotten carrots on her cutest outfit.

Mona laughed, wiping Farrah's chubby cheeks.

"You've done a wonderful job with her Haley. Both you and Kian." She told her, sitting down. "I'm so happy he found someone like you. Losing his first wife, Vanessa, was so hard on him."

Haley nodded knowingly. Mona didn't know how dark Kian had sunk, but he had told Haley shortly after they had become a couple. It had taken a young Marty to get him out of a morphine-induced numbness. He had done everything he could to stay clean, and now he was a happy, healthy father and husband.

"Eat up, Farrah. Grandma is going to spoil you while Mummy and Daddy are gone." Kian told his daughter. Mona smiled at the tiny girl, handing her a sippy cup.

After a few days and a few family outings, Kian and Haley packed their bags to Cornwall. It would be a relatively long car ride, but they were both excited.

"Ready for our first adventure?" Kian asked, kissing Haley as he got into the car.
"Of course. Just think, soon we'll be taking Farrah on trips like this!"

"Hopefully not too soon, Kian said.