Ch-29-Yellow-?

. . .

Me and Richard called each other both not being able to sleep. We stayed up for a few hours and just talking about random stuff, nothing that would lead back to the topic of Hanna or Jamie.

. . .

I was kind of tired the next day when I went to school. I went over to our tree and waited. Richard walked up to me and said. "She's not coming today." Oh... Right. I nodded and went inside like everyone else.

When I was inside people noticed me and a few called me some names too. I didn't bother with them. The last time someone stood up to them, they got sent to the hospital...

Me and Richard ate lunch under the tree together. At first, it was quiet. Until Richard brought up a conversation from last night. When we were talking and joking it felt like everything was normal for a moment. Until Hanna came over to us.

"Is Jamie ok?" She asked running over to us. "Did you get my texts?" She asked. "No, we didn't." Richard lied for both of us. "Oh." She said. "Well, how's Jamie?" I stood up walking over to Hanna. "She's in a hospital because of you." I spat at her.

"W-what?" She asked confused. "You spread the rumors." I shoved her shoulder. "So you the reason why she got hurt." "Rumors?" Hanna asked. "Wait but didn't she get hurt protecting you?" She asked tilting her head aching confused.

"She did, and that happened because you spread the rumors." "Why do you think it was me?" Richard walked next to me. "Maybe it was the twins again?" He asked. "No, I know it's her."

"Tell me the truth." I punched my fist into my palm. "There are no teachers out here." I smiled. "Richard?" Hanna asked looking at him. "You really think I'm going to protect you?" He asked to sing his arms and looking smug at Hanna.

"B-but I didn't." She said backing away. "Oh really? You sure the twins didn't tell you?" I asked taking a step towards her. "What?" Hanna asked surprised, but not in her sweet innocent voice, she sounded a bit angry too.

"There's the Hanna that's been hiding." I smiled. "So they did tell you?" Hanna kept quiet and backed away, I took another step towards her. We kept doing that until her back hit another tree on the other side of the pathway. "Why?" I asked. "Why did you do it? Wasn't Jamie your friend?" I asked sadly.

Hanna made a disgusted face. "Ew, no, how could you think that. She could have had a crush on me for all I know!" I balled my hands into fists.

Something hit Hanna's head. Hanna stumbled then moved away from the tree.

I looked at what hit Hanna surprised. It was a yellow sandwich container. What the-?

"Oh sorry." Someone chuckled. "My hands slipped."

I looked up to see where the voice came from. Someone was in the tree. I couldn't see who, but it was someone wearing a yellow sweater.

"It's not like anyone else is here so I don't need earbuds. And of course, it sounds like him, it is him." I said placing my phone down and opening the lunch Jamie's mom made for me.

"Except for that kid." Jamie pointed to a tree a bit away from ours. I squinted my eyes only to see yellow in a tree. "He always hangs in that tree." Jamie shrugged pulling out her lunch. "Not sure why. Either way, he's far enough away to not be able to here."

Wait, is that the same kid?

The person jumped down the tree picking back up their sandwich container. When they stood up I recognized the person in a yellow sweater.

"You're the kid." I said shocked. The kid smiled at me. "Oh hey Richard, any hey A-Alex, do you want me to call you Alex?" They asked nervously playing with their fingers. "I don't mind." I said.

"What we're you doing up there anyway?" Richard asked pointing at the tree. "Oh, I-I just like to eat l-lunch up there, s-sometimes." They said looking away.

"You got pasta in my hair!"Hanna yelled at the kid who hid behind the tree from Hanna's yelling. "At least you didn't get hit." I said holding up my fist. Hanna scoffed. "Your lucky I have to go clean my hair." She stormed away.

Me and Richard looked at each other before laughing. "Did she even notice the tomato sauce?" Richard asked between laughs. "I Dint think so." I said before laughing again. We laughed for a little longer before calming down.

I peaked behind the tree the kid was behind to see them sitting in the ground holding their legs. "You ok?" I asked them squatting down. "Y-yeah." They said noting their head.

"I don't think I've ever gotten your name." I said. That caused the kid to look up and me and smile. "Oh, it's Karter." They smiled. "Nice to meet you, Karter." I said. "Yeah, same here. And thanks for helping." Richard said walking around the other side of the tree. "O-oh, it was nothing, I just d-didn't like what she was s-saying..." Karter played with the sting of their hood. "Same." Me and Richard said.

"Hey, Karter?" I asked. "Y-yeah?" "Thank you for everything, you've helped us before, warning us about the rumors, and even today, so thank you." I smiled. "N-no problem." Karter said pulling the hood over their face. "Someone's embarrassed." Richard joked. I slapped his arm.

"Karter, can you look at me?" I asked sitting in front of Karter. Karted lifted their head up keeping the yellow hood on from the light yellow jacket over the yellow sweater. "Would you like to go and visit Jamie with us today at the hospital?"

. . .