30 | venus flytrap

Nox

"Hey, Nox are you busy?" Asks Anna as I'm arranging some strawberry tarts in the refrigerated countertop display.

I put the last few deserts inside then shut the door when I turn to her. "Not really, we aren't very busy in the cashier right now." There are only two people in line and my other co-worker is handling their orders.

"Can you help me ice some cupcakes? Pretty please?"

"Are you sure you should be asking me?" I raise a brow.

"Come on there's like thirty of them and the girls are on lunch break." She insists. "I know that you would rather spend your time doing something creative instead of placing deserts on shelves."

"And you're neglecting your own duties."

"Please Nox?" She gives her signature puppy eyes.

"You know that doesn't work on me."

"You know that you want to help me."

"Fine." I raise my case. "Lauren, I'm heading to the kitchen if you need me."

"Sure, thing Nox."

I follow Anna back into the kitchen and when I see the trays of cupcakes that are sitting on the counter, I give her a narrow look.

"Thirty cupcakes huh?"

They had to be at least sixty.

"Yeah, thirty each." She mutters.

I roll my eyes displeased. "Okay, so how exactly do you want to ice them?"

"We want to match the buttercream flower birthday cake I made last night." She tells me as she leads me over to the fridge where she shows me the masterpiece she created. It's a gorgeous whimsical white based buttercream cake that's decorated with lilac and baby pink flowery patters of icing. Some of the flowers have edible pearls that only give the cake a more opulent appearance. Whoever receives this cake will be very pleased about the rich quality. I bet it tastes rich too.

Anna herself looks exhausted because of her strict schedule so I decide to cut her some slack. Besides, she's willing to sacrifice her lunch break for this.

"Alright, let's get to work then." And with that I wash my hands over at the sink, before putting on a pair of disposable gloves then grab the silicone piping bag. Anna is doing the same on her side of the counter.

"So, what's new in your life?" She asks while squirting flower shaped icing patterns on her cupcakes.

"My neighbor dislocated his shoulder." I blurt and I mentally facepalm myself. Why is this the first thing that came to mind?

"Oh, okay..." She mutters.

Great I made things awkward. Now we have to put icing on sixty cupcakes in total silence.

"Does this neighbor happen to be someone we like?" She suddenly questions with a naughty grin.

"What?"

"You know?" She giggles. "Are you dating him or something?"

"Uh, no." I say flatly. "It's just that his accident was the only eventful thing that happened recently."

No way I could date someone like Jimin. He would run away like a hellhound if he knew what I've been through.

"Sure, Nox."

"What's up with you Anna?" I abruptly change the subject, not wanting to delve deeper into it. "Did your boyfriend grow a pair of balls in order to propose to you?"