Confusing New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, so what?”

“How about a partnership? You help me get Jayden back and I’ll help you shred Bax and his company to pieces.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.”

I smiled as we shook hands to seal the deal.

“When can we go get Jayden?” I asked.

“Well it’s going to take some time and careful planning.”

I raised an eyebrow at him, “Planning? What do you mean? Can’t you just call up the dude that has her and tell him there’s been a mistake and you need an item recall or something?”

“Item recall?” he laughed, “Now who’s making women seem like objects.”

I rolled my eyes, “Oh shut up, you know what I mean.”

“Yeah I know, it’s just funny. Anyways, no. It’s not so simple—“

“Why not?”

“Well if you would just shut up for a minute I’ll tell you.”

“Sorry,” I said making the motion to zip my mouth shut.

“How do I put this,” he muttered to himself, “I’m not the ringmaster of this whole operation.”

“Wait…what?”

“I don’t own this whole business or whatever you want to call it. I’m just an accomplice.”

“Then how did you get involved in all of this? I find it rather hard to believe that you would need the money from it considering the profits from your own company.”

“You’re right. I don’t need it. I was forced into it. Or rather, blackmailed into it.”

“How so?”

He chuckled, “I don’t really like to talk about it kitten. Maybe one day I’ll tell you, but right now, you need some rest.”

I pouted.

“Don’t give me that face. You know you need the rest too. You’ve had a pretty rough time these last 24 hours and you’re still healing. Nadya would have my head if I kept you up with stories. Get some sleep. We’ll discuss our plans later.”

“I won’t be able to sleep now,” I yawned, “I’m wide awake.”

“Just listen for once, Alaure. It’s for your own good.”

The sound of my name sent a slight shock through me, so I nodded and sank back into the bed, wincing as more pressure was applied to my bruises and cuts.

“Hold still,” Damon ordered gently as he lifted up the sheets to tuck me in snugly.

“Better?” he asked.

“Much. Thank you,” I smiled.

He brushed some loose strands away from my face and pushed back the hair above my forehead a few times making me close my eyes from the relaxing feeling. The gesture reminded me of my mother except my mother’s hands were softer. Damon’s were slightly calloused, rougher.

I sensed the room’s light fade into darkness and just as I was almost fast asleep, I felt the warmth of soft lips pressed against my forehead, just like my mother used to.

After waking up and going back to sleep several times, I finally felt rested enough to drag myself out of bed and get some food. It was 1:00 AM and I wasn’t about to wake Nadya up just to make me food so I decided I would just enjoy a nice bowl of cereal.  Ignoring the soreness of my muscles, I made my way downstairs.