Jayden's Story

RECAP

Every day I wished I wouldn’t be raped, but at the same time I had to wish that I was raped enough to not be thrown out. Girls who weren’t good enough were thrown out, and the fate they suffered was worse than just dying. It was a slow and painful death. There were rumors amongst the girls that they would sell your organs one by one since you “weren’t useful anymore.” So I began to act the part like I enjoyed it. I played the role of the subservient woman there to please her “master.” I pretended to be really into it, but ever night I cried myself to sleep, and thought about my former life, about my parents, and about you. I didn’t know if I would be able to take all of it for an entire year like Kristen did. I think after about three weeks of that torture I decided I would end all the pain and end my life.

It was that night that a well-dressed man with dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes came to visit me. His name was Baxter." 

_____________________________________________________________________

Chapter 43

I was curled up in bed, planning what would lead to the quickest and least painful death, when the door to my room suddenly opened. I dreaded being used again. I was already so exhausted and I felt disgusting. I just wanted to be left alone. That man, Baxter, was standing in the doorway with Garrett.

“I believe this is the girl you were asking about, Baxter,” Garrett said.

Baxter nodded and motioned Garrett to leave. “Give me some time alone with her. I’d like to talk to her.”

Talk? No one ever wanted to just talk.

Garett took Kristen with him out of the room and closed the door behind him.

“So,” he began, “You’re the Jayden I’ve heard so much about?”

I simply stared at him. It had been a long time since someone had used my real name. It sounded foreign to me. Not to mention, I didn’t think I had ever seen this man before so how did he know my name? How did he know me? And more importantly why was he here to see me?

“You know Jayden, it’s rude to stare. It’s also rude not to answer the questions you’re asked. You’re just like your little friend Alaure. You both need to learn some manners.”

“My ears perked up at your name. How did he know you? Were you here as well? I prayed to God that you were okay. I knew you wouldn’t survive the life the girls here suffered. You were far too innocent in every sense of the word to have to suffer such torture. It would have torn me to see you as broken as the girls around there. If I couldn’t handle what was being done to me…”she trailed off in her narration and shuddered.

“You are a pretty little thing aren’t you? Quite different from your friend,” the man said holding my face and turning it from one side to another as if to examine it. “Your name is Jayden, isn’t it?”

I nodded, “Yes, sir.”

“Oh there’s no need for such formalities here. Sir, gosh that makes me feel so old. Call me Baxter. I’m not one of your,” he waved his hand around, “clients.”

After so much time there, such informalities with men felt strange and awkward. “Please. I would prefer to call you sir. I’m not acquainted with you.”

“Hm, if only your little friend would be as courteous. Maybe you are less ill-mannered than your little friend. She comes up with such creative and odd nicknames. They’re quite degrading actually. She calls me Barney, and she calls my cousin nincompoop. Though I don’t quite enjoy my own nickname I cannot disagree with the one she has chosen for my cousin.”