Visitors

Chapter 15...or 16...or maybe the real chapter 14? my numbering got off somewhere :/ 

             I ran up the stairs in the spiraling abyss of confusion, not really aware where I was going, just fixated on the fact I had to flee, that I needed to get out of that room.  Eventually I ended up adrift in Damon's room, unsure as to where else I could run to. Although Damon's room wasn't a very safe place either at the moment, I tested my luck once again.

                 Gosh, how could I be so stupid as to just blurt out his name like that! It hadn't even been a full day yet since I had found it out. How could I be soo.. be soo... STUPID, that was the perfect word to describe my actions!  Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I face palmed myself as I plopped onto the bed.               

                I spread my arms into the soft satin sheets and willed myself not to cry. There was no point in tears. It wasn't going to solve anything. This wasn't some magical Disney movie where tears could make people come back to life and make all my problems and sorrows disappear...although life would be much easier fighting off giant fire breathing dragons, evil witches, or heartless stepmothers, than dealing with what I was now. At least that way I would know that no matter what happened, I would get my happy ending.

                I sighed and distracted myself by tracing the movements of a panel on the fan around in circles. It seemed to slow down when I focused on just one panel, but when I looked at it as a whole it looked much faster.

                "Hey, you okay?" Bax asked walking into the room.

                "Peachy."

                He let out a heavy breath, which sounded like a laugh. "Look, if you need anyone to talk to. I'm here for you," he said, one corner of his mouth slightly turning up into a smile.

                I returned it, "Thanks, but I'll be fine, really. It's not a big deal. I'm pretty used to it now. I-I just need some time alone. You know, to wallow in self-pity and drown in my river of tears."

                He smiled again, letting out a small laugh, "You're a strong girl."

                "Uh...you totally missed out on me breaking down in Damon's office earlier today."

                "Oh, yeah, Nadya told me about that after you ran up here, or rather was discussing that, along with some other things with Damon, so I overheard a brief preview."

                I nodded, not sure what else to say, but I wondered why and what else they were discussing. Those 'w' words (who, what, when, where, and especially why) seemed to be more common in my life now than they ever were in any of those puzzling science courses.

                "Sooo, yeah. I better go now. Damon will be coming up soon to talk to you...or yell at you...or something along those lines."

                "Right. I can't wait for that." At least this time I can be prepared and well, stay emotionally stable.

                He sighed, "Yeah, I think I'll leave you to that."

                "Gee thanks you jestful joke of purple extinction."

                "Huh?"

                "Oblivious as ever bonehead barney...thanks for leaving me here all alone."

                "Oh that again?" he chukled, "Quit freaking out so much. You'll be fine, as always. He won't kill you."