The Cascade Suite

Chapter 44:

            “Hi Damon,” I replied breathlessly.

            “Alaure, what are you doing here?” he asked, getting straight to the point. His complete disregard for me eliminated all feelings of nervousness and giddiness and replaced them with irritation.

            “Gee thanks Damon, you look great too. I’m fine too thanks for asking considering you left me in hospital with only a stinking note and didn’t even bother sticking around until I woke up or at least getting in touch with me after everything that happened.”

            “I thought it would be best if you tried to forget about me.”

            “You don’t get to make that call, Damon”

            “Okay, I’m sorry. Can we take this conversation away from all these eavesdropping ears?”

            I looked around and noticed many people divert their eyes as I did. I blushed and nodded, letting Damon lead us into the elevator in the lobby.

            “By the way, you do look beautiful,” he said, a light blush playing on his cheeks, “Although, don’t take this the wrong way, I think prefer you without make-up.”

            Butterflies fluttered in my stomach at the compliment. I smiled, “Good to know because I totally hate wearing all this make up. It makes my face feel all oily, and I feel totally fake like I’m hiding something.”

            “Good to know, hm? So my opinion matters to you?”

            “Don’t get so full of yourself now,” I retorted, elbowing him playfully. The elevator dinged to indicate we had reached our floor. Before I could step out, Damon very naturally took my hand and led me out of the elevator to his suite. I could feel my face redden as I almost lost my footing.  He slid his room key into the slot and opened the door.  I felt as though I had stepped into a large apartment rather than a hotel room.

            “Welcome to the Cascade suite,” he mocked with a cocky grin, noticing the look of awe on my face. The room was fully equipped with a dining room, fire place in a large and separate living room, and grand piano among other things.

            “It may not be quite as large as my house in Alaska—”

            “Is a room this large even necessary?” I asked, cutting him off mid-sentence.

            “Probably about as necessary as the amount of space I have back at home, but I like having the extra room.”

            “I mean really, a grand piano? Do you even play the piano? And a fireplace? What’re you gonna do, make s’mores or something?!”

            “I actually do play the piano and I would be down to make some s’mores if you’re up to it.”

            I laughed heartily, “I think I just may take you up on that offer. As for the former matter, why don’t you play something for me to prove it?”

            He scratched the back of his head and hesistantly said, “Well I’m a bit rusty but alright.”  He seated himself on the shiny black bench and lifted the cover off the keys. He did a quick scale on the keys to get a feel for it. “Any requests, milady?” he asked in a gentleman-like manner and winking with a cute boyish smirk.

            I giggled, “How about ‘Baby its cold outside’”

            “Sure thing,” he said hitting the first few notes of the intro. Though it was obvious he was no concert pianist as he tumbled over a few notes here and there, it was also evident that Damon had probably played for many years once upon a time.