Another Adventure

CHAPTER 31 (part 1)

By noon, the storm had cleared up entirely, as if it had never been here at all so Damon kept his word about taking me out to his old hang out spot. We were in his truck again, driving down the mountain to some unknown destination.

“So where exactly are you taking me? What is this place?”

“Just be patient and you’ll see.”

“How much longer until we get there?”

“We just started driving,” he said, exasperated.

“I know, but I’m really anxious…and bored.”

“Well, take a nap or something and by the time you wake up we’ll be there.”

“I’m not some toddler that takes naps in cars. Besides how long would I even get to nap for?”

“Alaure, don’t make me regret taking you with me.”

“Fine,” I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest, “But seriously how long?”

“About an hour.”

“Thank you. See how hard was that?”

He rolled his eyes and ignored me, but from my peripheral vision, I could see the slightest smirk on his face. I shook my head and smiled to myself. That boy just loved to mess with me.

After a few minutes of silence, I couldn’t help myself anymore. “Don’t you have any music?”

Silently, with one hand on the steering wheel, he pulled out an AUX cable and his phone, flipped through his phone and handed it to me with the music player open.  There were quite a few familiar songs here and there, but mostly because they were mainstream songs that came on the radio all the time. Curious about which songs he liked most, I went to his “most played” playlist. Confused, I asked him, “What kind of music do you like?”

He shrugged. “A lot of different genres.”

“Yeah, I can definitely see that. You’ve got everything from hip-hop to electronica to indie rock.”

Finding a familiar song, I selected “Apartment” by Young the Giant.  As the song opened up I began to sing the first stanza but stopped after feeling subconscious about my voice. I was more of a shower singer anyways. Silently, I listened to the guitar part between the stanzas while I gazed outside at the scenery. Most people would get bored of seeing the same thing over and over again, but each perspective seemed different to me. It seemed like I could never get over the beauty. You could never have too much of it.

“On my way to your apartment, I write for fear of silence. You carved a boat to sell my shadow
now I walk alone,” Damon began to sing.

I gazed at him in an open mouthed smile of disbelief and shook my head. He smiled encouragingly at me.

“Alright, alright.” He sang again.

As the chorus started we both sang it together, “I hit the sidewalk and this is how it starts. Hide in a raincoat when things are falling apart.”

We continued to sing the rest of the song, laughing together and exaggeratedly playing the air guitar in the part towards the end and laughing giddily again when the song ended.

“You have an amazing voice Damon!”

“I thought I told you about my music passion a long time ago.”

“Well when you were telling me about your wild career choices you said musician but I thought it was one of those thing you say when you’re a kid, like becoming a firefighter or whatever. I didn’t think you had actual talent in the field.”