Imprisoned Nightingale

Please forgive me for the long wait :( I'm so SO sorry. I'll try to make it up with the next chapter.

CHAPTER 16

            As the days continued to pass by, the flame of hope I had begun to dwindle, especially after learning that even the police wouldn't help me. I had no one to find me, to care enough to look for me, or even notice that I was gone. My fingers were beginning to slip from the last string of hope that I had held on to for so long.

            I continued to stare up at the ceiling, lying on my back, my arms gently lain over the blanket that covered me, as I listened to Nadya's soft breathing next to me. I slept in her bed now. I never felt comfortable in Damon's room and I felt like I could finally breathe now. Although it wasn't as lavish, it was still better than any room I had ever occupied, and it was definitely good enough for me, but tonight I couldn't bring myself to sleep. A sense of sadness and dread filled my insides, but I had no idea what the source of the feeling was.

             I sighed and pulled the covers off of me. As motionless as I could, I slowly inched my way off of the bed, tip-toed across the floor, and slipped through the crack of the ajar door. I let out the breath I was holding and began to walk around the house aimlessly, letting my feet robotically take me where they pleased. I climbed the stairs to the second floor in very zombie-like manner. I dragged my feet up each step and stopped when I made it to the top. "I wonder if Bax is awake," I thought as I stared at his door. My question was soon answered as his door opened up. He stepped out of his room and jumped a little when his eyes met mine.

            "Hey," I smiled, putting my hand up in an awkward greeting gesture.

            "Hey," he whispered back, "you scared me."

            I chuckled. "Yeah, I noticed. What're you doing out this late?"

            He gestured to himself which is when I noticed that he was wearing a pair of navy blue swim trunks that stopped just above his knee, and a thin white undershirt. I probably would have noticed earlier if he weren't wearing his shirt.

            "Wanna come?"

            I bit my lip, stopping myself from the strong urge to squeal 'YES!'. "I don't think I should. Plus, I didn't exactly have time to grab my swimsuit when I was being kidnapped...And don't even try suggesting skinny dipping or swimming in my panties or something. "

            "Panties?" he laughed, "Oh silly Alaure, I have something you can wear."

            I gave him a strange look, not quite sure how to respond to that, or which question to start with.

            "Just wait here."

            After a few moments he came back with two outfits: a pink polka dotted bikini and a crisp white monokini. I gaped at him. "You're joking right? I'm not going to wear any of those. I've never worn anything less than a two piece!"

            "What're you, five? C'mon Alaure, it's time to start changing what you wear."

            "I'm completely content with what I wear right now, thank you very much."

            "Just hurry up and wear one before I shove it on you."

            My eyes widened. "You wouldn't..."

            "Don't test me."

            I hesitated for a moment. I could just head back to Nadya's room, sit there, and avoid this dilemma altogether, but the small rebellious side of me pushed me otherwise.