The Gala

Chapter 43: The Gala

            It was bright and early in the morning. The drive from campus to Seattle was about 12 hours so we wanted to leave before 8AM to get to the hotel at a reasonable time. All through my classes this week, I hadn’t been able to stop thinking about this weekend.

            With shaking hands, I carefully placed all of the clothes and toiletries into my suitcase. I was so nervous about how this weekend would go down. Would I finally get to see Damon again and confront him about all the questions I had? What would he say to me? Would he be happy to see me or angry? Would I even get to see him or would things go horribly awry before I even got to see him? I frowned at the thought of being dragged away by security.

I picked up the silver heels Jayden told me to bring, placed them in a plastic bag, and squeezed it into my suitcase. I was so curious about what dress Jayden was going to give me to wear for the gala. No matter how much I pleaded, she wouldn’t divulge any details about the dress. I looked around my room to see if I had left anything behind. Once I was sure, I zipped up my suitcase and checked my phone to see if I had any messages from Jayden. She texted me about five minutes ago that she would be there in about 10-15 minutes. I also missed a call from Landon. 

I sighed and hit the call back button. When I told Landon that Jayden and I were going to be going to spend the weekend at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle he insisted on coming too. I think his exact words were “You’re always getting yourself into all kinds of trouble even in places that are generally safe. I don’t know what I’ll do if I lose you Alaure.” It wasn’t until I said that if he came it would ruin our girl’s night out and that I promised to call or text him any time I went out or did anything that he finally decided to let me go on my own.

“Hey ‘Laure,” Landon greeted as he answered the phone.

“Hey Landon, Jayden is going to be here any minute now to pick me up.”

“Okay, be safe, drive carefully, and give me a call if anything goes wrong. My apartment in Seattle isn’t far from where you’re staying.”

“Alright mom.”

“Please Alaure, be serious. You have no idea how worried I am about you. You’re a magnet for trouble.”

I sighed, “I know Landon, but you really don’t need to worry so much. I’m about to graduate from college.”

“I know Alaure, but I can’t help it. Especially after almost losing you once.”

“Okay, I get it, but please try not to worry so much. I can take care of myself. I’m one tough cookie and won’t go down easy.”

He chuckled, “Alright, just let me know when you get to the hotel.”

“Sure thing, will do. See you later Landon.”

“Bye, ‘laure,” he said before hanging up.

Not too long after, Jayden texted me to come outside and we were soon on the road to Seattle. We took turns driving every few hours or so but the drive went by so quickly with conversation and singing along to our favorite old school songs that we were almost sad when we reached Seattle.

I texted Landon to let him know Jayden and I safely reached Seattle and Jayden gave her parents a call. Though I couldn’t hear everything they were saying, I could hear the anxiety in their voice. After everything they must have gone through with their daughter being kidnapped and raped, you could hardly blame them for being hesitant and nervous about sending their daughter off into this harsh and dangerous world again instead of keeping her trapped in the safety of their home.