Secrets

Thinking of changing the name of the story to "Help! He's Holding Me Hostage" <lots of fun alliteration there :D

Chapter 13

     Instead of walking down the main stairwell we walked down the back stairs which led directly into laundry room which was right next to the kitchen, but directly across from the pantry. The kitchen was a full gourmet kitchen, every chef's dream. It had a larger than ordinary steel fridge with unused magnets on the side, a nice sized stove on the island in the center of the kitchen, a deep and wide sink directly behind it on one side which faced a view out a well-sized window and on the other side was a long counter which outlined most of the kitchen and a second layer which rose up a little higher than the first counter to serve as a bar seating.

            Next to the sink was about 2 yards of counter space and then two, black, ovens stacked on top of each other. All the countertops were made of sleek black granite. Littered around the kitchen were numerous cabinets and drawers filled with all kinds of crazy cooking instruments I had never seen before in my life, and others that were filled with duplicates of utensils that seems to vary only slightly in shape or size.

            Whatever part of the wall was not covered in cabinets was coated in small rust-colored square tiles. On the other side of the bar was a light tan, marble breakfast table surrounded with windows and a door to the balcony which had yet another table.

            Somehow I found myself imagining living here, eating here, enjoying some hot chocolate outside on the patio outside while watching the pure white capped mountains turn to pink and then orange as the sun rose and spread its warmth on the cold Alaskan frontier for its few special hours.

            Nadya and I were silently washing the dishes, lost in our own thoughts, when Bax walked in. I don't know what it was about the two of them, but they made me feel so cheery, comfortable, and more like my normal self.

          "Morning Nadya"

           "Good morning Bax," she smiled, but it faded a little, "You made Master very upset yesterday."

            He sighed, "What can I say, I can't keep myself away from this little siren." He tapped my nose with his finger and grinned with such boyish delight I couldn't help but smile back.

            "What's up Alaure?"

            "Not much. Just helping out Nadya with some chores. Wanna help?"

            "If I get to spend time with you, sure."

             I blushed, lowing my face to hide it. "I'll wash, you dry," I said, unable to bring myself to look at him without feeling awkward.

            He chuckled and nudged my arm with his elbow. I ignored it at first, but when he did it again I looked up at him.

            "What?" I asked pushing my glasses up higher on my nose to keep them from falling. I blew a loose chunk of my hair out of my face, but it simply fell back into place.