A Stormy Night

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS ONE!
 CHAPTER 30: A Stormy Night

Early in the morning, once he had woken up, Damon and I began to plan out how we were going to get Jayden back. Everything had to be a secret. No one could know that Damon was helping me carry out this plan. He was risking everything, but at the same time I was weary because he may not have been risking anything at all. He could have been lying to me, and it wasn’t comforting knowing how easily I could get sucked into the trade with one mess up.

“So before you leave we’re going to put this chip on you. It’s going to keep track of you so that if anything happens I’ll be able to find you and get you back.”

Why was he doing all this? Was he really being genuine and trustworthy?

“It’s going to hurt though, Alaure,” he continued, “Normally a chip like this would be placed on clothes or some kind of accessory, but there’s a chance that you could be stripped of all your clothes and possessions the moment you get there so we’re going to have to make a small incision and place it somewhere.”

“You’re going to cut me to put a chip inside me?!”

“Don’t worry it’s not a large cut. It’s going to feel like a shot or something. Besides, if you don’t, there’s a chance you’ll never be found again.”

I shot him a skeptical look before muttering, “Fine, but I still don’t like part of this plan.”

“Which part?”

“Oh, just the part where I have to pretend to be sold to this guy so I can try to infiltrate the place to find Jayden, and get out before I’m either raped or killed. Seriously. Worst. Plan. EVER.”

“Well, let me know if you can think of anything better. Besides, you’ll be fine. I’ll be close by the whole time.”

“Can’t we just kill the bad guy instead? You know, avoid the whole mess.”

“We’re not killing anyone,” he said, emphasizing every word and giving me a pointed look, “Killing people is messier anyways.”

“I don’t see why you have such a big problem with it. The good guys always just kill the bad guys in movies, hack through them like they’re overgrown bushes.”

“They’re people, not bushes, and we are not in an action film.”

“Isn’t it supposed to get easier after the first kill anyways?” I said unthinkingly. It wasn’t until after I saw the look on Damon’s face that I realized how he took it.

I opened my mouth to say something but I couldn’t form the right words. “Damon, I didn’t mean it like that—“

“Just get out,” he said quietly, but the tension behind his voice was evident.

I stood up from where I was sitting in front of his desk and walked to the door. “I really didn’t mean to—“

“GET. OUT.” 

I nodded meekly and left. My insides felt hallow and I felt completely awful. I never realized how sensitive he was to the topic. I face palmed myself. Why did I always make stupid mistakes like that? It seemed like lately I always made him upset by bringing up Chloe’s murder. I was so stupid and careless. At least it was evident he wasn’t a cold hearted murderer and that he could feel guilt and regret.

Well of course he felt guilt, he loved the woman.

But then why did he kill her.