27 | the accident in the soup kitchen

Jimin

Saturday is my favorite day of the week, but it's also the day that I'm the most active.

At least I started being more productive after Dylan begged me to join him to do some volunteer work at the local soup kitchen.

The only reason why he asked me to go with him is because I would be more likely to say yes, but anyway.

That being said, my day starts nice and calm with a morning coffee and then I hit the gym with Taehyung if he's available. After a relaxing shower, I rinse out the sweat I worked up during my training session at the neighborhood's gym, I resume my university work and my freelance writing duties. But things have changed since I volunteered to work at a soup kitchen downtown for Dylan's sake.

Dylan has social anxiety and lately he's trying to get out of his comfort zone, by doing all sorts of different activities each week and that's healthy of him to do. However, he needs to have a friend with him or someone he knows in order for him to feel more comfortable. I think his shrink advised him to get out of his shell and it's a good thing that he's actually putting her words to action (since he won't listen to either of us, except maybe Taehyung). Honestly, I don't mind giving him a helping hand considering that we're simultaneously contributing to society, by doing all these small tasks. Besides for us volunteers, we only need to spare one hour, two tops since we don't work full time.

And working at the soup kitchen isn't all that bad. At least it's not as bad as I expected. We get to work with people of different ages and even though I'm not the best at making conversation, we get the chance to get a taste of what everyone calls 'team spirit'. Of course, you have the stuck-up knock offs that only come here to feed their ego boost by showing how 'generous' they are with their presence and yet they refuse to clean the refrigerator, or scrap some food in buckets.

Dylan is currently chopping some vegetables on one side of the kitchen as I'm hauling some pretty heavy crates of food into the basement. Only two more to go and we can finally leave. Even though it's gratifying to contribute to something without expecting to get something in return, this handy work is tiring as hell and all I want to do grab a beer and chill at the Sage.

"Excuse me, but what are you sitting there?" One of the cooks who is chopping some vegetables, suddenly snaps at a guy who has been on his phone almost the entire time. "Get to work and stop filming Instagram stories. Haven't you got no shame?"

"Back off man, I was texting my girlfriend." The guy throws.

"Well, text her at your own time. You're here to work, not to show your girl how generous you are just to get into her pants."

"What the hell are you saying?"

"I'm saying that nobody is going to buy the perfunctory act of yours. You've been working here for three weeks and you've contributed to nothing ever since you came here with the other lady friend of yours." The cook says in a calm manner. "If you're here to flaunt your false generosity, I suggest you leave."

I'm surprised at her directness and how she manages to maintain her calm in such a situation. If I remember correctly her name is Jazmine and she doesn't really talk to anyone during her time here. I think she's a volunteer just like me and Dylan, but I'm not quite sure.

The guy balls his fists angrily before saying. "Are you saying that I'm a hypocrite?"

"I did nothing of the sort. I simply implied it, but at least you got the point." Her gaze falls on the man's clenched fists. "What are you going to do? Hit me?"

She stops chopping the vegetables and while the blade is touching the chopping board, it points towards him.

He slowly backs away and shoves his hands in his pockets, before walking away.