Final kiss

I balled my hands until they trembled as my nails dug deep into my palms. Just one clasp, and he could snap me to death.

Calm down, Vera. You've foreseen this happening.

I knew the difference of my action from the doltish princess would raise suspicion. And with the incident that transpired involving Lord Ashton only put me in a terrible predicament.

I breathed in, calming my senses from acting more suspicious.

"Your Majesty, shouldn't I be the one asking that question?" After a moment, I spoke sternly.

I've been too careful ever since I discerned this phenomenal series of events I haven't thought, even with my wildest imagination. Too careful to the extent I've been pushed around at his every whim.

But right now, being careful was not what I needed. In this situation, I would risk gambling with my life as I would lose it either way at the drop of the hat.

"Oh?"

"You've attempted to erase my memories of you..." Through my gritted teeth, I pondered on the right words I would speak.

When I felt his hand stopped, I knew I picked the right time table as my argument. I'll just pretend he failed in his attempt that night, which changed my point of view.

It wasn't a solid excuse, but it would bid me time. He wouldn't kill me right away, unless he had proven the doltish princess he adored had perished that night.

"Aside from that night, I can barely recall anything about you, Your Majesty. Thus, I should be the person who should ask that question among the piles of question I've failed to answer on my own."

As I uttered my brave statements, I could hear my heart drum faster.

Silently, I hoped this would wane his suspicion about my identity. Yet, the longer he remained silent, the more this anxiousness crept into my heart.

"You... remembered?"

His Majesty withdrew his hands as his voice shook mildly. I heaved a sigh of relief and closed my eyes briefly.

Gracious... this was one of the gamble I didn't enjoy. I often found gambling quite enjoyable in the past as I never gambled knowing I wouldn't win. Hence, this anxiousness was something new to me.

I mustered my courage as I pivoted on my heel, facing His Majesty, and looked at him in the eyes. My reflection in his eyes showed me how perfect this face's disappointed expression.

"I stabbed you many times I lost count. How else do you think you'll be successful in your attempt with those injuries, Lulu?"

Finally, with the perfect portrayal of my disappointment, I pulled out my final move by addressing him of what this princess used to call him: Lulu.

Checkmate. I repressed the smirk attempting to resurface on my lips.

He may be powerful and bore many faces. I may have uncertainties of his intention. But what I'm certain about was he would never harm this doltish princess at the moment.

The depths of his mercy towards this princess was still questionable. However, I never planned to push my luck. What I had planned was far greater than risking this fragile life constantly.

Guilt flickered across his eyes before he frowned and sighed. He didn't see this coming, was what his expression was saying.

Hah, fool.

Again, I repressed my lips from smirking. I needed to keep my act together.

"I don't blame you for questioning my identity. Perhaps, I had perished that night, buried along with my foolish innocence."

I looked away, proud of how I turned the table. Alas... a drop of tear rolled down my cheek.

It caught me off-guard. I raised my hand and touch my cheek, stained with those unwanted tears. I didn't plan to cry, but my tears kept escaping my eyes against my will.

"I wanted to go home... but I never said I want to go home alone."

Just when I thought I had enough surprises, I thought wrong. My words slipped past my lips and only realized it once it reached my ears.

Doltish princess?

Momentarily, I was stunned, as I knew those words were what the original body wanted to say. I couldn't stop myself for an unknown reason.

Why must she sabotage me at this crucial moment? Gracious! Just die and let me live this life the way I wanted to! Don't send him mix signals and put me in a problematic situation!

I was livid, wanting to throw a fit and challenged the dead doltish princess. I didn't want this life, but it was given to me.

Therefore, I should live with it the way I prefer it to. This doltish princess must cross the after life and stopped struggling to live a small part within me.

"Vivi," While I was throwing a huge fit inside my mind, His Majesty's voice brought me back to reality.

Upon realizing he would utter nonsense emotional words, I immediately spoke to stop him.

"Your Majesty..."

However, just as I called him out in urgency, my words trailed off as I lost the ability to control my lips and body.

No...

Just like how I witnessed that memory from that night, I was only conscious inside but could not act on my own. The next second, I felt my feet moved as I trudged closer to him.

No, this was not me!

"Lulu, you're the only person who treated me well. The only one who told me my life is mine to live. However, I was too weak, and I ended up harming you."

I saw my reflection in his eyes sport a bitter smile as she gazed at him lovingly. All my distress came to a halt as I figured she was bidding him farewell.

You loved him, do you, Princess?

The answer was obvious, and I was speechless.

Perhaps, if she could tell him her last words, I could control this body at my will. Also, since this princess only had misery almost her entire life, part of me could not help but let her use this body for the last time.

Deep down, I know the consequences hereafter. But I was confident I'd figure out to resolve this.

Well, then. Treat it as my first and last gift to you, Princess.

Slowly, my hands cupped his cheek. His Majesty held the back of my hand as he stared back at me with the same gentleness in his eyes.

It was a depressing sight to behold. This princess and His Majesty surely have this strong connection, and it was about to end in tragedy.

This was the reason I lost all hope for having these strange feelings. It never ended well.

"Vivi, please forgive my foolishness." His Majesty expressed, regretting everything.

"Lulu is indeed a fool. But I am the bigger fool, for I've planned to covet what isn't mine." I paused, or rather, this princess paused as she swallowed hard.

Meanwhile, I wondered what she was talking about. Covet, what exactly? Well, I don't think this was something I should concern myself with.

"I'm sorry." He apologized once again, admitting something only the two of them could comprehend.

"Don't be." She responded, shaking her head lightly.

Slowly, I felt my feet tiptoe and inched closer to him. Within a second, these lips left a soft yet emotional peck on his lean cheek.

"I wished you happiness with her, Lulu." Upon that whisper, I felt myself being drawn back and I could control this body again.