How insulting

"I wonder, Lord Ashton. Would his lordship also deem it honorable if Darius severe your head for the same purpose?"

Another soft whistle of the wind brushed past our ears. I nearly sneezed at the brewing scent of dangers wafting my nose. Carefully, I raised my head and peek at the smirk on His Majesty's lips.

What a way to return someone's claims as a question, I whispered internally.

Now, I'm intrigued to hear Lord Ashton's response. Will he obey or abandon all pretense?

"Your Majesty..." Under his breath, Lord Ashton called out before he suddenly knelt on the ground.

I arched my right brow upon seeing his humble action. Pleading for his life, huh?

"If my death would satisfy His Majesty, I would be happy to oblige." Lord Ashton exclaimed bravely, obeying the unjust orders even at the risk of his life.

Oh? I was wrong, but he just made things interesting. I didn't see that coming. I shifted my gaze to His Majesty, curious of how he would react.

As usual, His Majesty was unfazed and kept his flat countenance; Darius as well. Both of them just stared at Lord Ashton without a trace of pity in their eyes.

I wonder what they were thinking at the moment.

"Darius," After the long wave of nothing but silence, His Majesty spoke.

Immediately, the sharp sound of a sword being wielded mixed in the air. Lord Ashton's back trembled as his fist on the ground tightened.

Will they really behead him? I panicked.

Obviously, I don't take pity on Lord Ashton. However, I don't want him to die right now.

From the memories I just retrieved, I figured Lord Ashton wasn't acting alone. Lord Ashton was a human, but he had the ability to hypnotize a weak-willed person.

I wanted to know more about Lord Ashton and gain information about his accomplice. I couldn't do that if his head rolled over now!

"Lord Ashton Lu Rouge of the house of Le Rouge, and the Lord of South Vastela, the Land of Esmond, thank you for your service. May your soul find its peace." Darius chanted, his eyes fixated on Lord Ashton's nape as he swung his sword up.

No... they would behead him! My eyes widened because I knew no one would stop Darius.

Time ticked slowly as sweats broke out from my back. I need to stop them. I need to...

I clasped my hands into a ball, clenching my teeth as I mustered my courage. Everyone might misunderstand my intention, but I was determined.

Just as I mustered enough courage to plea for Lord Ashton's life, I halted upon hearing His Majesty speak once again.

"Lord Ashton, I am well-aware you've just given a title recently. However, how could you not remember the actual rules of this execution game?"

I furrowed my brows. Actual rules of the execution? How odd to have rules to execute someone?

"We, indeed, needed five heads as our balls each round. How about the rounds thereafter? Were you willing to sacrifice the entire household of the Le Rouge?"

After hearing the brief explanation, I froze. This wasn't a mere execution, just as I thought. It's a massacre!

However, why must His Majesty sounded... odd?

"Your people trusted their Lord. How could you sacrifice and turn your back on the lives of those who trusted and served you without a question?"

His Majesty's tone grew colder, and so was the blow of the soft wind. My knees stood still as my thoughts halted from pleading for Lord Ashton's life.

What was His Majesty saying?

"May his kind soul find its peace, for those gentle hands had committed sins against their will. Sins that the Ashton I have known wouldn't commit even at the cost of treachery and turning his back against the monarchy."

Slowly, the smirk on His Majesty's lips gradually appeared bitter. I could not help but see it as a pity that bore thousands of regret.

Why does he sound as if Lord Ashton had perished a long time? Could it be...

I immediately shifted my gaze to Lord Ashton's figure. To my surprised, his back was trembling as his devious laughters reached my ears.

I see...

I finally got a gist of this sudden revelation. This Lord Ashton... was possessed. It already intrigued me how I knew His Majesty, but Lord Ashton didn't since we were childhood friends.

At first, I assumed His Majesty erased his lordship's memories just like what he had done to the princess. However, now that I put more effort into cudgeling my brain, this princess didn't lose her memories until that fateful night.

"Hahaha..." Lord Ashton's laughters volumed up as he slowly rose on his feet.

"Luis Breviltooth Deamonne, His Majesty, the King... we had underestimated you, huh?"

Instinctively, I took a step back, seeing the wicked expression that resurfaced on Lord Ashton's gentle visage. He sounded and appeared to be a different person.

Those deep blue orbs glinted with contempt as he stood before His Majesty proudly. I glimpsed at Darius and he didn't appear surprised.

I looked around just to see the other knights bearing their unruffled demeanor. Does everyone know about this but me?

"I really believed I used this persona quite... flawlessly. Being appointed as His Majesty's direct vassal, the Duke of the South Vastela, and this cursed princess' savior. I was certain I was this close, Your Majesty."

Lord Ashton raised his hand every so slowly before he clutched them.

"This close..." He added through his gritted teeth.

I took another step back, feeling restless at what was about to happen. I'm certain, with this Lord Ashton revealing his real colors, something unpleasant would happen.

"We had seized all the traitors that infiltrated the palace. You have nowhere to go, demon." Darius uttered firmly. His gaze never once left Lord Ashton, even though he sprung back a little to create distance.

"Demon? I'm afraid I do, Marquess Darius." Upon dropping those remarks, my eyes widened as Lord Ashton disappeared.

The second I blinked, two figures appeared before me as the loud clash of sword clapped in my ears.

"No. You didn't underestimate me. You've overestimated yourselves." The next moment, His Majesty's voice tickled my ears as I slowly raised my gaze to him who stood beside me, holding a sword that blocked Lord Ashton's.

"How insulting."