Distractions

"Shh... just rest. Your thoughts are too loud, I can hear them."

Alarmed, I instantly pressed my lips together, widening my eyes in surprised. Did he read my thoughts? Could he possibly read someone else's thoughts?

Good lord...

"I can only see and hear what I can..." His previous remarks suddenly cross my mind, which left me dumbfounded.

I'm in trouble, am I?

"No, I can't literally read your thoughts, but I can hear the stress of your heart rate." He whispered under his breath.

What?

What does that mean? I furrowed my brows, adjusting my gaze to glimpse at him.

His Majesty still had his eyes closed, his eyes beneath his lids weren't moving as well. His breath caressed an area of my neck.

As I scrutinized him, I heard him click his tongue.

"Tsk,"

What — what, now?

This man who was 'holding me as his hostage' could truly confuse people. I'm uncertain whether I was merely baffled because I don't know him just yet, or he already had this habit of speaking vaguely.

It was a relief, though. He couldn't literally hear my thoughts. If he could, he would surely know the scheme I've been concocting since I regained my consciousness in the doltish princess' body.

Nevertheless, Vera... stay still and let him nap. Don't make the slightest noise and keep your thoughts clean. No, keep it blank just in case.

I convinced myself, breathing in and out, stabilizing my heart and thoughts calmly. Soon, my breathing synchronized with his as I unconsciously followed his breathing pace for the reason I'm unable to explain.

I was unentertained at this dull time with him. I had so much things to do; taming a few reliable people, regaining my powers, torture Joseph, find the witches I left in the Cez Kingdom, and the long list goes on.

Alas, how could I do that if I'm stuck here, babysitting His Majesty while he takes his precious nap?

Does he love his throne so much that he would sleep on it?

Surely, Kings of every kingdom would do anything for their throne. Indeed, I could only assume a shallow reason His Majesty would nap suddenly.

Well, one couldn't probably sleep peacefully with the fate of the nation in their hands. Joseph couldn't sleep at peace before until I cast a protection barrier around our chambers.

What an ingrate and how foolish of me to do such a thing. If I knew he would kill me in the end, I wouldn't cast just a protection barrier, but a barrier that shrinks to crush all his bones along with the rubbles of his castle.

"Tsk," amid my continues thoughts — which I tried to stop — His Majesty clicked his tongue once again.

This time, it sounded truly vexed. I snapped my tongue in annoyance as a response.

Could you please sleep peacefully and let me mind my own thoughts, Your Majesty? I tried, alright? But I can't stop it! What else should I do with myself in this complicated position, but think? This only shows what a terrible personality you have, Your Majesty!

I taunted, internally. Gracious... I've been craving to speak my thoughts aloud. But if I do, all my sacrifices would go in vain if I lose my composure now.

Alright, you won. Now, sleep while I keep my mind blank — as blank as the tone of your voice.

I smirk, satisfied at the insult I threw at him inside my creative mind. Unbeknownst to me, a subtle smile resurfaced on his lips upon my last internal remarks briefly before it disappeared in a blink of an eye.

"Hmm?" As silence manifested in me, I arched my right brow upon noticing a few unruly strands poking out from his neatly brush hair that goes all the way to the back.

I bit my bottom lip lightly, closing my eyes to avoid myself from staring at it. However, once I opened my eyes, my gaze immediately set on it.

How distracting, I thought.

With a deep sigh, I carefully stroke the spiking stands of hair to lessen the annoyance I had just looking at it.

So soft... I was shocked at how soft his hair was.

Carefully, I stroked his soft hair once again and I couldn't help but smile. Stroking his hair was akin to a rabbit's fur, it was smooth under hand.

This king would be a nice pet. And he seemed harmless asleep.

At the back of my mind, I wanted to make him a rabbit, which I could stroke all day once I regained my powers.

What a silly thought.

I continued to stroke his hair with the tip of my fingers until it turned into casual petting. As I do so, I looked around at the overly spacious royal court.

The structure was almost similar to the Cez Kingdom and the other royal courts I've been to as the Queen of the Cez Kingdom. It reeked of elegance and nobility,

The only difference was that this royal court was twice or thrice larger than normal royal courts. I failed to notice it earlier, but even when His Majesty's vassals were here, it didn't appear crowded with the generous space this place offered.

But, for the nth time, why?

It was easy to assume His Majesty preferred a space to breathe. However, this royal court was overly dramatic for that.

I would consider that they designed this royal court for something... enormous. I wonder what it was, though.

"Hmm..." I narrowed my eyes, pondering the reason this place was too spacious.

Deep down, I knew it was foolish of me to ponder over this insignificant detail. I wouldn't get a straightforward answer, would I?

However, I still tried hard to contemplate about it... for distraction purposes.

Suddenly, I felt his grip around me tighten as he held me close. His head that was on my shoulder also moved along until the apex of his nose touched the side of my neck.

I jolted lightly, wanting to jump away, but his arms were firm yet gentle.

"Uhm..." I pursed my lips, not daring to make even the slightest movement with his fiery breaths tickling my neck.

The next moment, my soul nearly left my body upon hearing his soft and languid whisper.

"Is this enough distraction?"