The Ross Estate

A full day had passed, and we finally reached the grand Ross Estate. I slid the curtain with my finger, peeking outside only to see a butler standing outside, welcoming my return.

"Aren't they sweet?" I mumbled with a smirk, withdrawing my finger away, and the curtain slid closed. "At least they asked a butler to welcome me." I didn't expect anyone to welcome me back. Well, considering that they were sending me to hell, they would at least exert some meager effort.

I waited until someone would open the door of the carriage for me. If this was the real Marsella, she would've gone out on her own, but not me. The people who needed me were these people, not the other way around.

I bit my tongue at that thought. "Well, I do need their money."

My brows raised when I heard someone outside, and the door of the carriage opened.

"My lady, why aren't you going out? Do you know how cold it is to stay out?" The butler fumed, but that didn't faze me. 

I blinked and dramatically turned to him. "Oh? I thought you liked the cold since you just stood there!" I gasped, worried, as I placed my hand on my chest. I felt like tearing up with my acting.

"Tsk!" The butler clicked his tongue, disgruntled for dealing with an 'idiot'. "Let's go inside, my lady. Marquess Ross had been waiting for you!" He almost yelled, but for some reason, he restrained himself.

"Oh! Father!" I cheered excitedly and was prompted to hitch outside. But I stopped with my attempt, as the butler didn't hold his hand out. He furrowed his brows when he noticed my reluctance.

"What are you still doing there? Are you purposely making the Marquess wait?!"

My eyes grew colder. There was a limit to my patience as well. "Butler, how can I go out if no one assists me? What if I stumble and hit my head and die? Will you take responsibility?" My tone was cold, suppressing the urge to cut his tongue.

He remained silent as he stared at me, wide-eyed. It was not a surprise that he was flabbergasted, because Marsella was a coward who never stood up for herself.

The butler let out a deep sigh as he reluctantly held his hand out. "Please, my lady. The Marquess has been waiting and we can't delay it further."

'You said it a couple of times already. It is your fault for treating the lady as if she was below you.' I internally rolled my eyes as he led me inside the mansion.

In the grand entranceway, welcomed everyone who came in was an intricate and dramatic chandelier suspended on the ceiling. It shone warmly, giving a cozy atmosphere in this neoclassical style interior. Surely, the Marquess was wealthy as his house was just as sophisticated as the imperial palace. Everything just spoke luxury, and yet, he couldn't even support his daughter properly whom he sent on the outskirt of the capital.

I felt this strange bitterness in my heart, but I knew it wasn't my pain. It was Marsella's, but I understood her pain.

"This way, my lady." The butler snapped me back to the current lapse as I blinked and shot him a look. "The Marquess is waiting for you in the study," he repeated. His attitude was still the same but never mind. I followed behind him in silence, feeling a little sleepy as this body still needed some rest.

"My lord, Lady Marsella is here." The butler announced after knocking on the door. I heard a deep "come in," from the inside before the butler opened the door and we trudged in.

My eyes instantly fell on the man's back, standing in front of the window. He slowly turned around and faced me. Golden hair and great stature, one distinct trait of the Ross lineage, just like Marsella. He was holding a glass of wine in his hand, swirling it while his cold, crimson eyes scanned me from head to toe.

'That's not how you look at your daughter, Marquess,' I commented internally, a little miffed at this situation.

"Lady Marsella, pay respect to Marquess Ross." the butler hissed behind me.

Oh! Right. "Fa, father," I stammered, purposely, as I performed a clumsy curtsy.

"How have you been?" he asked as he walked towards the wing chair and sat down.

I stood in the same spot, holding my hand before me. I only hung my head low, biting my tongue, afraid it'll run off on its own. He didn't have any expectations of me. I was an idiot in his eyes. Receiving no response from me would shock no one.

"I see you're tired from your journey. You should rest for now, and we'll talk tomorrow." He waved, casting the butler a look.

See? He instantly sent me away, since he didn't want to lose his brain cells. Although I'm certain it was him who would drag my intelligence down.

"Tha, tha, thank you, fa, fa, father." I bit my tongue to suppress my laughter. 'Don't play too much, self!' I told myself as I peeked at his disappointed reaction. It was his fault. He didn't have the patience to turn Marsella into a decent lady. So, these types of results were to be expected.

"Go." He ordered, and I followed the butler to my room.

To my surprise, they actually prepared a decent room for me. Although it needed a little cleaning as dust polluted the room.

"Rest for tonight, my lady. Please be sure to wake up early so you can join the Marquess for breakfast." The butler coldly informed and left without waiting for my response.

'Finally, some peace,' I whispered internally, trudging towards the bed and collapsing my back on it. Some dust streamed up as soon as my back landed on the bed, but I ignored it.

I stared at the ceiling that looked so familiar, but not at the same time. "Tomorrow will start my hellish life in here..." I muttered as the side of my lips curled into a smirk. "... or not. I wonder when is my wedding?"