Only Yours

"Is this enough distraction?"

No... I was aghast at hearing his query. My heart pounded loudly as I felt a sudden knot inside my stomach.

My unstoppable train of thoughts finally reached its peak, shutting off in an instant. I could feel my blood lowering, my lips paling and so my complexion.

He could read my thoughts, can he?

Slowly, His Majesty retracted his head away from my shoulders. Yet, his arms around me remained still.

"I can't read your thoughts, if that was you're disturbed about. As I've said, I could hear the voice of your heart. It was screaming, I assumed you needed some distraction."

His Majesty explained in his usual low tone. His keen eyes, however, assessed my entire aghast expression. I wondered if he could see how naturally intimidating he was through the reflection in my eyes.

"This area..." Finally, he retracted one of his arms away from me and pointed at the side of my neck. "... used to be a very sensitive area of you. But, it seemed it's not anymore."

He motioned the tip of his finger in an up and down motion.

Was he trying to tickle me?

His Majesty frowned as he retrieved his finger, tilting his head as he looked at his fingertip as if it failed its only task.

How innocent...

I nearly wept at how oddly innocent he appeared at this moment. Just when I thought he was trying to seduce me... it turns out he was just trying to tickle me with his warm breaths.

It made me realized how corrupted I was. For assuming he leaned closer to take advantage of me, I had fallen this low!

"Anyhow, shall we see the Le Rouge together?" After staring at his failure of a finger, His Majesty diverted the subject as he set his eyes on me once again.

I vacantly stared at him and somehow shook my head. I didn't want to hear this sweet voice of mine.

My action caused his brows to furrow, tilting his head in puzzlement.

"You don't want to see the Le Rouge?"

I only realized my action upon hearing his question. Well done, Vera. Now you need some explaining to do!

"I..." I paused upon hearing my sweet, muffled voice. I would never get used to this princess' voice, ever.

"I... um..." I stuttered, thinking of a very innocent but reasonable excuse. Should I come clean and tell him I actually want to nod instead?

"Are you afraid I'll send you away with them?" His Majesty guessed, bringing life in my eyes.

"Yes!" I answered almost immediately.

He offered me a warm smile, patting me on the head. He looked mesmerizing whenever he smiles... this, I would never get used to, as well.

"I won't, Vivi." His Majesty reassured. "Us, meeting the Le Rouge will not be about your betrothal to him."

"Then, what is it?" I blurted out, clasping on his shoulders as I didn't want to probe further because I already figured the answer. But my lips moved and my words slipped past them before I could stop myself.

His Majesty smiled. Instead of giving me an answer right away, his knuckles traced my jaw gently. I gulped, pursing my lips anxiously.

"It'll be your betrothal to me." He answered under his breath, looking me directly in the eyes.

Ah?

"I can refuse my vassal's wishes, but Ashton is an important vassal of mine. My people will never dare covet the king's possession." He explained for me to understand.

I. COULD. UNDERSTAND.

The original owner of this body probably won't. She would surely wouldn't consider the sacredness of marriage, but I do.

This time, I was completely speechless. I could not articulate my dismay.

They once hailed me as a Queen and died bearing the title. Marriage was the spell that bound me to fall in love with an ingrate.

Marriage? Huh, don't make me laugh. I would never step my foot in that damnable trap and repeat the history.

"No..." I whispered, loosening my grip on his shoulder blades.

Despite how muffled my answer was, His Majesty furrowed his brows. Great, Vera! You've been doing good playing ignorant, but still failed in the end.

It was a shame to end this play pretend. However, being tied down in a marriage I didn't want was the least of my plans.

I had experienced love and marriage. It was beautiful, but the people weren't.

Love never changes, but people's heart does. And my heart... was too occupied with vengeance.

"You don't want to?" After a long silence that was choking me, he asked.

I didn't answer, pursing my lips once again. Any answer would cost me my life, and so does my silence. Regardless, keeping my silence was better than giving an outright answer.

I steeled my heart, anticipating his fury and punishment he would bestow upon me. I was determined to find an escape route in the process, if he wouldn't kill me right now.

"I see..." To my surprised, His Majesty nodded in understanding and remained calm.

"I don't have a choice, do I?" He smiled warmly, shaking me to my core.

He's fine with it?

I studied his expression discreetly. He truly seemed he was fine with my disagreement.

Huh?

"You... you're not angry?" I asked out of curiosity. I'm still astounded at myself for how I mustered the courage to ask him.

"Why would I?" Puzzled at my question, his forehead wrinkled. "That's your decision, and one should respect it. Even if I am the King, I know how to respect your decision."

He stressed his last sentence, making me think he solely respects MY decision.

"Just mine?" Once again, I blurted out before I could even think of better questions.

"Only yours." As soon as I asked, His Majesty was quick to respond, stressing those two words: only yours.

How merciful of him, and how fortunate of me to receive such privilege.

Was is because the doltish princess already experienced a series of unfortunate events? So, he sympathized with me?

"However, I still need to see the Le Rouge. As the King of this Kingdom, I can't easily take my words back. It will tarnish my name." He explained with a sigh.

I didn't care how he will do it and nodded immediately. "I'll go with you then!"

I proposed, wanting to take this opportunity to proceed with my plans. If His Majesty truly thinks I'm a valuable subject, joining him was the perfect camouflage to find any suitable knight whom I could use as a pawn.

His Majesty, however, raised his right brow at my sudden shift of demeanor. "Are you... certain? It would be... a sight you wouldn't want to witness."

He asked, hinting me of the worst potential outcome. I didn't care and nodded without a second hesitation.

I know he'd massacre the entire house of Le Rouge. I've seen and was used to seeing blood from my previous life as a Witch and Queen of the Cez Kingdom.

Another bloody scene wouldn't startle me anymore. Little did I know, what awaited me would have made me realize how little my imagination was.

"Don't blame me, then." His Majesty shrugged nonchalantly as an agreement.