Vassals of the King

The tickling motion awoke me, tugging my hair lightly. The constant stroke of something warm on my head compelled me to sleep more. However, the indistinct chattering of voices forced me to return to my consciousness.

"Your Majesty, the Le Rouge Family had been here forever, awaiting your presence." I heard a voice of an old man uttered formally.

"His Majesty holds the absolute power. He didn't need to hasten his priorities just to please his guests." One argued in a calm tone.

"But His Majesty bestowed a title for Lord Ashton as his direct vassal!" The old man exclaimed furiously.

"And as the direct vassal, he must submit and obey. Thus, he shall wait just like how we respect His Majesty's time."

I peeked through one of my eye discretely to see who was arguing with such intensity. As soon as I did, I didn't just see two people arguing, but many nobles lined up in this grand court.

What's going on? I'm confused.

"You're awake?" While I processed the situation I woke up to, I heard His Majesty's cold monotone voice kissed my ears.

I looked up, retracting my head from his lap — from where it was resting. I glimpsed at my puzzlement through his dark, shimmering black orbs.

"Marquess Darius Campbell, we're both direct vassal of His Majesty, but neglecting the difference of our title is unpardonable!"

I jolted, retracting my baffled gaze away from His Majesty upon hearing the piercingly loud noise of a heavy sword clashed against the concrete floor.

"Wielding your sword in front of His Majesty bear the same insult, Duke Solomon Parry." The latter taunted, bearing his proud tone.

I blinked my eyes, darting my gaze from the middle-aged man named Solomon clad in a long cloak made out from thousands of metal rings that start from the neck, covering down his ankle and wrist.

The person he was arguing with, Marquess Darius, however, was clad in formal black clothing akin to a person attending a funeral.

As I've noticed his attire, I gulped hard. Every important vassal of the King wore either their plate armor in preparation of a battle or a black formal suit.

Immediately, my subconscious assumed this had something to do with the Le Rouge. Still, there were questions lingering in my mind: why was everyone too vigilant about the said guests if the host was the King, himself?

"They're energetic, aren't they?" Yet, unlike the growing tension between the two, His Majesty's tone was as calm as a still lake.

His voice snapped me back to reality as I looked up at him. I then realized I was sleeping on his lap, as he was on the throne in front of his every important vassal in the Kingdom.

"..." It rendered me speechless.

Obviously, I recalled the time I fainted and barely waking up in his arms. I didn't expect that he would carry me all the way to the royal court instead of leaving me in his guest chambers.

Was everyone here the entire time I was asleep? But it didn't appear that my presence was of any hindrance as these vassals of the King continued their dispute.

Still... having audience while I sleep was an utter humiliation!

I stared at His Majesty, grinding my teeth discretely as I calmed myself from losing my composure.

"My Lords, please conduct yourselves according to your status. What is the use of your titles if you still act barbaric before His Majesty?"

Suddenly, another knight intervened with his tone laced with sarcasm and nonchalance.