Tani, the young maid servant

I instantly fell asleep last night as this body was weak. Even with a strong-willed soul inside, this body was frail, and forcing it would only strain it even more. When morning came, the butler brought a young maid to serve me.

"Tani will be responsible for everything you will need. She'll be under your care from now on." The Butler whose name I didn't care to know, extended his hand in the young maid's direction.

The latter bowed politely. "My name is Tani, my Lady. Please don't hesitate to ask me anything. I'll be at your service," she said before she slowly raised her head.

'Too much formality early in the morning.' I thought, nodding in response as I needed to wash my face before I face Marsella's damned family.

"The Marquess asks you to join the family for breakfast." The butler reminded me, surprising me with his cautious tone. Was it because of Tani? "Please don't make the Marquess wait," He added before leaving the room.

"My lady, I will fetch you water to wash your face and run a bath for you." Tani excused herself. Her attitude was... how should I put it? A little better?

"Alright," I answered and nodded, watching her leave to execute her task. "Maybe because she's a young maid, she still doesn't know how I was treated in here?" I concluded under my breath as Tani's misplaced submission was rare in this manor.

While I waited, I remained seated on the divan, my legs over the other. I raised my hand and stared at the back of my hand. Because of Melanie, the bruises and minor scars on my hand were merely the product of Marsella's clumsiness. Marsella avoided doing too much manual work thanks to her nanny and her frail health.

"I underestimated how frail this body is," I whispered, seeing how thin my wrist was as if they would snap if someone grabbed it aggressively. "I should take care of this body first and avoid trouble for now." I nodded in resolution.

Although the Marquess planned to marry me off — if that was even what this was all about — there's still a little possibility that the members of the Ross Family would maltreat me. This body wouldn't survive to take a beating if that happened; not that I would ever let that happen, anyway.

I would murder them.

I clenched my hand into a fist as my eyes glinted. "But with this feeble body, I couldn't defend myself." I needed strength if I wanted to live a better life as Marsella Ross. For that to happen, I had to know to tread on thin ice... for now.

The corner of my lips curled into a cunning smirk. Good thing I had Marsella's memories, I thought. I already had a vague idea of her siblings and knew who could protect me in here if I played my cards right.

***

The Marquess was kind enough to send me a proper dress fitting for a noble lady even before I could ask for it. He was probably concerned seeing me in a worn-out dress. Did I upset his stomach last night? Well, didn't he know I barely brought clothes with me so he could buy me new ones?

"I'll wear my hair down," I said, glancing at Tani's reflection in the vanity mirror. She glanced back and nodded. I noticed her hands trembling as she brushed my hair, making me arch my brow.

"Tani," I called after some time and she nearly jumped from my abrupt call.

"Yes, my lady?" she asked, suppressing the panic in her voice.

I narrowed my eyes before I slowly turned and faced her. "Why do you look so scared?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

Her eyes slowly dilated as she hung her head low. "N — no, my lady. Did I make, make a mistake?" she stammered with her shoulders shuddering. It was clear now that her source of submission was out of fear, but why? I had done nothing yet!

"Raise your head. You don't have to lie," I said, watching her raise her head and hold her hand in front of her. "What did you hear about me?" there's only one reason for Tani to act so terrified in front of Marsella, and that was false rumors. I wonder how the Marquess painted my reputation to others.

"My lady, it's not..."

I cut her off as I spoke. "I'll only repeat my words this once. What did you hear about me?"

Tani seemed reluctant, but because of her fear, she started talking about the rumors circulating Marsella. I listened carefully and the more I did, the more pleased I was.

To conceal Marsella's situation, the Ross Family spread a disparaging rumor about the second daughter of the Marquess. In those rumors, they painted Marsella as a wicked noble lady who had a bad temper; that even the Marquess couldn't control. It was said that many servants died serving "me" because I would punish anyone, even for minor mistakes. Because of that, many held a grudge against her, leading to an attempt assassination to take her life. That "incident" forced the Marquess to protect his daughter and sent Marsella to one of his "safest" estates on the outskirt of the capital.

"I see." I nodded approvingly. Not only did Marsella have to endure a terrible life all her life, the Marquess even used her name to make himself appear as a doting father. No wonder Tani was being extra careful, afraid she would trigger me and lose her life.

"My lady?" Tani pursed her lips, studying my reaction as if she was prepared to run if I threw a huge fit.

I smiled brightly. "Tani, will you die for me?" my question immediately made her tremble as her complexion turned pale.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "I jest," I said, turning around to face the mirror. "Tani, when you gamble, you have to take risks."

I glanced at her through the mirror. "Bets are placed from the beginning, you know?"

Tani stared at me momentarily, pondering about my remarks until she understood what I meant. "Yes, my lady. I will only serve you, my lady!" she exclaimed, nodding with the brush in her hand.

I nodded ever so slowly. 'Make sure you do that, Tani,' I replied internally. 'Those rumors were far from the original Marsella, but they described me, Vera, quite accurately.'