Huh?

"Words were not enough to express how agonizing this cut was." His Majesty uttered in a flat tone before he brushed past me.

What am I doing?

I let out a deep sigh as regret eventually sunk in. I had told myself countless of times I shouldn't speak another word.

However, the more I reminded myself, the stronger that desire to look back.

And I did.

Now, I felt this regret swelling up inside of me because of this unwise decision. What done is done, I sighed and turned around.

The moment I did, I saw His Majesty smirked proudly at Darius while showing his bloody finger.

His Majesty didn't stop in his tracks, though. Passing by Darius in a high-spirit.

How many persona does this king has?

At first, I thought he was just like Joseph, who perceived me as low as a pet. But I was wrong and everything was baffling thereafter.

My impression of him never failed to change throughout this day. From a pervert, then innocent, to a merciful and foolish king, to this playful behavior.

I didn't know which one was real. I would lose my sanity before I could do anything at this rate.

With everything said and done, I dragged my feet as I followed them back to the castle we came from. Unfortunately, we were heading back to the real castle and not the old one where I woke up to.

I preferred a long walk right now to have enough time to talk to myself. A long walk was enough for me to scold myself regarding my impulse decision making.

But that was impossible right now.

"What a day..." I let out a sigh as I shook my head lightly.

*****

"It was a deep cut, Your Grace. Hence, you must refrain yourself from physical activities to avoid the wounds from reopening." The royal physician stated, raising his head from my palms to my eyes.

I nodded, skimming through his blanched hair and a few wrinkles evident on his face briefly.

Slowly, I gazed down on my hand wrapped with white cloth flawlessly. I couldn't feel my hand as it went numb.

"Deep cut, huh?" I mumbled, curling my fingers gently.

Funny. This wound didn't hurt that much. But it reminded me of the poison that killed me as Vera, the Queen of the Cez Kingdom.

That poison hurt, awfully. Or rather, the reason I died was what hurt me, emotionally.

"Your highness, I advised you to get plenty of rest. You've just woken up ever since that incident several nights ago."

My ears instantly clapped as I arched my right brow and slowly raised my gaze back to him. "Several nights ago?"

It did not surprise me that this royal physician knew that incident. His Majesty got injured. Hence, it would be more strange if no one tended to his wounds.

Still, I didn't fail to detect those keywords. If memory serves, that incident transpired last night and today, I awoke in this body.

"Yes, Your Grace. Eight days ago, to be precise." The royal physician clarified, causing my brows to furrow.

"Eight days? Are you certain?" I asked, thinking my ears were deceiving me.

"How could that be possible? I fainted, indeed. However..."

Just as I reviewed the timeline of my days in this land, my voice trailed off. I fainted, yes.

After that... does that mean I was in slumber until today?

"The royal court was in chaos for the past eight days, Your Grace. His Majesty never left your side and personally took care of you; he barely did his royal duties or had a proper sleep. Our lordships had to force His Majesty to attend today's royal court."

The royal physician chuckled, finding what transpired during my sleep fascinating. Meanwhile, the news rendered me speechless.

After I fainted that day, I slept for days with no one but His Majesty? I didn't want to jump into an absurd conclusion, as though I had enough thoughts to rethink and reconsider.

No wonder His Majesty fell asleep in his throne... I thought internally, recalling our brief time alone in the royal court.

"Everyone was surprised that His Majesty reached his limits and fell asleep in his throne. But, I can only heave a sigh of relief as His Majesty finally rested."

The royal physician patted his chest lightly, stretching his lips from ear to ear. As I watched him, I secretly scoffed in dismay.

This royal physician was exhibiting odd behaviour in his age. Was he attempting to move my heart by His Majesty's actions?

I could not say it was working, nor I could tell it wasn't. But he was obviously showing his enthusiasm regarding my mysterious relationship with His Majesty.

"Are you insinuating I should feel sorry for His Majesty?"

"No, Your Grace. I'm merely stating that His Majesty had never truly shown his devotion to anything — even in the land of Esmond. However, the past eight days had been an eye-opening to many of us!"

Laced with excitement, the royal physician clasped his hands together. How odd to witness an old fellow getting excited over someone's life.

Well, we're talking about His Majesty. Hence, I shouldn't be surprised with other people taking interests.

"Never shown his devotion? Even for this kingdom?" I repeated in a questioning tone, raising my already arched brow higher.

"Are you trying to flatter me? You won't benefit from it. I hate lies."

I didn't beat around the bush as I relayed my honest thoughts aloud. Although it wouldn't hurt gaining this physician as my ally. Still, I didn't enjoy hearing more lies.

This kingdom would've fallen long ago if its ruler wasn't devoted to it. Every king prioritized their nation before themselves or their kin.

If the king didn't value the land he ruled, the fate of the kingdom was bound to fall. I was literate enough to know the basic rules each kingdom abide.

"No, Your Grace. I wouldn't dare! This humble one was merely stating the truth!"

To my puzzlement, the royal physician cast me a complex gaze as he furrowed his brows. I sighed, heavily.

"If it's the truth... how did this Kingdom survived? A kingdom is bound to fall without a devoted ruler to protect the land he rules, or the will to protect his subjects." I paused, taking a long inhale, and breathed it out from my lips.

"How can the Land of Esmond stand mightily until this day, despite your claims? We're you insinuating we should discredit His Majesty?"

I didn't want to point at the obvious. However, this physician gave me a headache for his stubbornness. Moreover, I wasn't impressed by how he sounded so ungrateful for the man who was giving them a peaceful life.

"Anything you say can be treated as treason. Be careful." I warned as I didn't dare look away from him.

Immediately, the royal physician gestured a deep bow. "That is not my intention, Your Grace."

There was a brief moment of silence that enveloped the royal chambers we were in. I stared at the royal physician as he kept his deep bow.

"Then, are you saying I'm incapable of understanding your language?"

"I dare not say that, Your Grace. This humble one would lay my life for the goodness of the monarchy. However, His Majesty had openly claimed ruling the land of Esmond was never his intention and it was only His Majesty's hobby."

"Ah?"