Survival Instinct

Upon hearing his perverted remarks, there's this sudden woman's pride swelled up inside me. I scoffed as I unconsciously placed my hand on my chest.

"Are you a pervert?!" Before I could stop myself to think about what I would respond, these reckless words just went out of my mouth.

The King furrowed his brows in amusement mixed with surprise. His smirk stretched wider, revealing his evenly white teeth.

"You just realized that now?" He tilted his head to the side, crossing his arms, still bearing that proud smile.

He's not angry? I thought in surprised as his expression was nothing but delight. Also, he's proud of being a pervert?!

Is this the kind of person I'd have to leech onto?!

Suddenly, my heart pounded against my chest as I swallowed a mouthful of saliva. He wasn't that indecent, right? I wouldn't want to be entangled with that type of person.

"Hm," As I looked at him in dismay, he suddenly narrowed his eyes as he let out a long hum as he pondered over something I have yet to know.

"Who are you?" Out of nowhere, he asked, which made my shoulder stiffen as sweats broke out on my back.

Did he figure out that I'm not the doltish princess?

"I'm... me."

Lame. Am I even trying? He wouldn't believe that.

"You rarely... no, you've never understood my humor. It's surprising that you did, barely." Slowly, he leaned his head closer with his eyes still narrowed suspiciously.

"Suspicious."

He added as his face was a palm-length away from mine. Obviously, the original owner of this body wouldn't understand as she was as innocent as a child. How dare he attempt to corrupt her?

Which made me wonder if he has corrupted this body. He wouldn't go to such lengths, would he?

On the second thought, he's the King! He could do what he wanted and they would perceive his actions as justifiable!

"Right, the Le Roug..." To save myself, I planned to divert his attention.

However, my words trailed off as he seized another step closer, which made me take a step back this time. Each time he took a step forward, I would take a step back.

It continued until my back hit the shut door and I could no longer take a step back. Suddenly, he placed his palm on my side, against the door with his eyes locked on me.

"What were you saying?" He asked in a low, breathy tone.

I gulped down, hearing and feeling the movements of my throat as I did so. I've been enthralled by his beauty earlier, but I could still feel this potent attraction with such beauty before me.

I watched his eyes slowly move away from my gaze as it traveled across my face. His gaze settled on my lips for a long time, which made me purse my lips in a thin line.

Can I do it? I asked myself. Can I sacrifice my chastity, offer my body for the sake of survival?

Will I be able to submit?

I pondered hard and long for my answer within the frame of seconds. Deep down, I got my answer; Of course, I would.

He could have this body, but I would never give my heart. I had handed my heart to someone once, and it was the worst mistake I have ever done.

With that thought in mind, I mustered my courage and eased my stiffed shoulders. Slowly, I raised my hands and cupped his cheeks before I pressed them, distorting his lovely visage.

"You said we have guests! I don't want to play with them, though. Can we just play together?" Out of option, I mimicked how the original owner of this body would react during moments like this and her enthusiasm.

I don't know how she interacted with him as she didn't have memories with him — which I'm still curious why. But throughout the memories I had from her, she would most likely to say such ridiculous stuff.

To my surprised, it worked!

His majesty's eyes widened a little, probably surprised at the sudden change. However, my surprise wasn't just that because the next second, his surprised eyes slowly turned into a loving one.

Gorgeous...

My heart suddenly skipped a beat. Such gentleness in his naturally sharp and menacing eyes was definitely a sight to behold.

Carefully, he held both my hands while his thumb caressed the back of my hands. "Of course. I told you, I'll be your playmate forever."

He whispered faintly, and I lost the pressure of pressing his cheeks. My hands would fall if he wasn't holding them.

His words mysteriously brought warmth to my heart as it sounded familiar. I felt like I heard this before, but I couldn't recall when.

I have never met him, nor I gained even a fragment of memory of him from the recollections of the doltish princess. Yet, this heart of mine was beating in a strange pace.

"I was ready, Vivi..." He muttered bitterly, holding my hand tightly but not tight enough to hurt me.

"I was ready to let you go. But now..." He paused, his eye flickered menacingly as he stared at me straight in the eye.

I held my breath as soon as our eyes met. I could feel his longing, desperation, and frustration.

My heart suddenly ached for him... why?

"But now, I can't help but wonder if I'm making the right decision."

I watched him inch closer as I still held my breath. His lips were too close. And it doesn't seem it would change its direction.

With my lips pursed in a thin line, I steeled my heart as giving my lips was part of my survival methods.

I closed my eyes, unknowingly clenching on his chest, and then I felt the sudden softness touch my forehead. My hands that were on his chest loosened its grip but remained still.

Before I know it, I felt my energy draining before I lost consciousness.

****

Vera's body immediately dropped seconds later. Fortunately, the Sovereign of the land of Esmond, His Majesty, the King, Luis Breviltooth Deamonne, caught her by his arm.

"Just when I thought you've returned to me... Perhaps, I was wrong." He whispered, staring at Vera's unconscious face before he let out a weary sigh.