The dilemma

My eyes grew wider due to shock. I have seen countless of deaths and cruelty this world offers. However, what I have just witnessed proved I haven't seen everything yet.

Did His Majesty seriously ask his vassal to offer his knight just for his entertainment?

My impression towards His Majesty had been constantly changing, but this one etched in my mind. Where did that soulful king in that memory go?

Bewildered, I looked around and everyone didn't appear as surprised as I was. No wonder they were all mortified when His Majesty proposed this game.

This game was a cruel one. If not for the fact that His Majesty pardoned this princess' treachery, I would have reconsidered in changing my plans with Lord Ashton.

His Majesty glanced at the severed head. Blood squirted from it before he raised his gaze.

"Will he, Ashton?" His Majesty smiled, that didn't reach his eyes.

He was not pleased?

"Certainly, Your Majesty."

"I see. However, we were having a minor... dilemma."

Upon hearing His Majesty's last remarks, Lord Ashton furrowed his brows. Just like his lordship, my forehead creased, curious about this "dilemma".

"Darius, will you brief his lordship?" His Majesty cast Darius a glance who was standing on the side not far away from us.

As Darius bowed, His Majesty propped his elbow on the armrest as he languidly rested his jaw on the back of his hands. Unknowingly, I had been staring at him and only realized it when His Majesty caught my gaze.

Instantly, I looked away and pursed my lips.

Not now, Vera. I told myself internally.

"Everyone who heard about today's celebration came to take part. We didn't expect the numbers of our enthusiastic knights who would attend. Thus, we have to cater five rounds simultaneously so everyone could take part."

Darius explained in a flat tone. His expression unchanging as he peered at Lord Ashton. I darted my gaze from Darius to Ashton and could see the color of the latter's lips grew paler.

Huh, I'm still bewildered how they still call this a game when it was obviously an execution. If they needed to host five rounds simultaneously, doesn't that mean they needed four more heads?

What a cruel kingdom. Yet I couldn't take pity on Lord Ashton. It was satisfying to watch him loath secretly.

"His Majesty had considered postponing today's events. However, since his lordship had sacrificed his knight, I'm afraid it'll be a shame to let this valuable knight's death be in vain."

"Pfft—!" Upon hearing the rest of Darius' explanation, I couldn't hold back and snorted.

His Majesty, Darius, and Ashton immediately turned their heads on me, which made me purse my lips in a thin line and hung my head low. I couldn't believe how cunning they were.

Ahh... Lord Ashton, you've made a fool out of yourself.

His Majesty's vagueness caused Lord Ashton to assume on his own. Thus, to prove his obedience, Lord Ashton severed his men's head without hearing the rest of the story.

Now, Lord Ashton had placed himself in a tight predicament. This, I applaud and commend His Majesty.

"Five rounds..." Under his breath, Ashton murmured.

"How many knights have you brought, Lord Ashton?" asked Darius with no change in his flat tone.

I recalled the knights that bowed before His Majesty previously with his lordship. If I remembered correctly, they were four.

In other words, the numbers of head wouldn't suffice. Unless Lord Ashton himself would sacrifice his head.

Just as that thought crossed me, I raised my gaze to Lord Ashton. His entire complexion was as white as the clouds in the sky. Perhaps he had realized what kind of situation he was in.

Although I had grudges against this man and would want to personally slay him with my hands, this turn of events was still satisfying to watch.

There was a long silence that engulfed the entire training grounds. It was so silent that it was nearly deafening, if not for the constant soft whistle of the wind.

"Lord Ashton, may I ask how many knights have you brought in here?" After some time, His Majesty broke the stifling silence and repeated Darius' question.

Lord Ashton's lower lip trembled as he shifted his gaze to His Majesty. "Fo — four, Your Majesty."

"And we still need one, I see." His Majesty nodded, stroking his chin lightly before setting his gaze back to Lord Ashton's figure.

"I wonder, Lord Ashton. Would his lordship also deem it honorable if Darius severe your head for the same purpose?" His Majesty cocked his head to the side while the corner of his lips curved into an entertained smirk.