Chapter 16: Afraid That She Might Think of Me as Plain Old Jane

Start from the beginning

In the blink of an eye, her comfortable dress morphed into her eternal sailor guardian uniform, complete with her celestial wings. A thought flickered through her mind – when had she last transformed? The realization startled her; it had been years. Nonetheless, muscle memory propelled her into action.

"Hold it right there!" Sailor Moon clamored, returning to the dining area. She thrust a gloved finger in the creature's direction. "How dare you disrupt a snowy morning where people are enjoying sweets and coffee? That's a crime I cannot forgive! I'm the pretty guardian who fights for love and justice, I am Sailor Moon!"

"Protected by Neptune, the planet of the deep sea, I am Sailor Neptune!" The teal-haired guardian materialized gracefully by her side, her presence emanating poise and power.

"And in the name of the moon, we'll punish you!"

The monster emitted a piercing howl, causing both guardians to wince and cover their ears. Its response only fueled their determination.

"Deep Submerge!" Neptune summoned forth an orb brimming with the might of the ocean's depths. With a precise motion, she propelled the aquatic sphere toward the creature. The impact was explosive as it collided, sending the monster hurtling into the wall, leaving behind a massive indentation.

The monster shrieked, but swiftly rebounded, leaping to its feet - charging straight at them!

"Out of the way!" Neptune dove towards Sailor Moon, shoving her to safety in the nick of time. They landed in a painful heap on the cafe's floor.

"Neptune!" Sailor Moon cried. The beautiful outer guardian had just enough time to roll off her princess when the monster lunged again for Sailor Moon.

Neptune grabbed the monster from behind, straining to keep its thrashing limbs under control. Its strength was undeniable, and it was obvious Neptune's grip couldn't endure for long. Its claws scraped through her gloves, producing a scream from her glossy lips.

Sailor Moon scrambled to her feet and attempted to summon her tier. But nothing happened.

Panic flooded her veins - how could she forget? Galaxia had destroyed her tier! She had sliced it in two with her sword during the final battle.

I don't have a weapon! Sailor Moon realized, taking a step back.

Neptune's arms quivered as she grappled with the relentless monster. Its desperate swipes were focused solely on Sailor Moon, paying no heed to Neptune or the cowering cafe employees seeking refuge behind booth tables and corners.

Usagi touched the crescent moon on her forehead. To her immense relief, she succeeded in manifesting her tiara.

"Moon Tiara Magic!" For not utilizing her tiara in years, her aim was still impeccable. The monster turned to moondust in Neptune's grasp. Sailor Moon, however, had a feeling that without Neptune's initial attack, her tiara might not have been enough to take it out. Dread wormed its way through her stomach.

Sailor Moon stared at its remains on the floor, then exhaled. She glanced at Neptune, who managed to look simultaneously alarmed and relieved.

Neptune procured a small plastic bag from the bakery counter, intended for holding doughnuts, and knelt on the floor.

"What're you doing?" Sailor Moon asked.

"Collecting a sample." Neptune sealed the bag containing the dust. "I plan on delivering it to Ami Mizuno's for analysis on my way home. I'd like her to run some tests on it. Perhaps she can shed light on its origin."

"Good thinking," Sailor Moon said. Why didn't I think of that? She couldn't help feeling a pang of inadequacy; Michiru's presence had a way of making her feel underqualified somehow.