23

Song For This Chapter:

Cupid's Chokehold-Gym Class Heroes

"Take a look at my girlfriend
She's the only one I got
Not much of a girlfriend
I never seem to get a lot"

---------

Darlene's POV:

I groan in annoyance when I'm woken up by the sound of my phone ringing. I roll over on my side to grab it squinting down at the bright screen to see who's calling. When I see that the time is 7am my annoyance only grows.

I'm slightly surprised to see Harry's name plastered on my phone screen. The picture of us at the diner taking up my whole screen since I put it as his contact picture.

What? I don't have any other pictures of him. It's not weird, it doesn't mean anything okay?

But I don't care who is calling, it's never okay to wake me up from my beauty sleep.

I click the green answer button, holding the phone to my ear and closing my eyes in tiredness.

"Harry it's 7am, what could you possibly need that couldn't wait until.... at least 10" I try and scold, but my voice is too tired to convey anything else other then the fact I just woke up.

"Sorry I just- I need to ask you a favor" Harry says and his voice sounds frantic. But not enough to where I feel anymore awake.

"Mmhmm" I respond, urging him to continue. Having my eyes closed is already lulling me back to sleep again, but if I fall asleep in the middle of this conversation I don't really care.

"My Mom surprised me and said she's coming down to visit and I've been telling her I've had girlfriend for like months now and she said she wants to meet her" Harry rushes out and I can practically picture him pacing and tugging at his hair.

Well that wasn't a very smart thing to do was it Harry? Lying will get you nowhere kids.

"That sucks" I state, "Why would you tell her that?" I continue sleepily my eyebrows furrowing slightly in confusion.

"She's been bugging me for years about never having a 'steady girlfriend'. She's always up my ass about it, a lot more this past year so I lied to get her to back off a bit" Harry says defensively but you can tell in his voice that he's regretting that decision right now.

"Okay but why are you telling me this at 7am" I sigh, at this point I've woken up enough that there's no way I can fall back asleep.

"Can you please please please pretend to be my girlfriend?" Harry begs desperately through the phone.

My eyes snap open and I sit up in my bed, a lot more awake now.

"What?!" I say, not because I didn't understand what he just asked but because I'm shocked that he did.

"Please Darlene, I'll make it up to you I promise" He pleads in desperation.

The thoughts running through my head are going at a rapid speed and I'm just trying to weigh my options here. If this was Harry a couple weeks ago I would've said no and hung up the phone immediately but for some reason I'm finding myself actually considering it. Maybe it's because he's told me about his Mom and she sounds like such a sweet person. I've never met her but I don't need to in order to realize that.