21: Governor General

Start from the beginning

"Slight. The helplessness in your face is so priceless."

Inirapan lang ni Yumi ang kapatid bago tiningnan si Sedric na naglalaro ng bola.

Sakto naman na nakita niyang tumalbog ang bola palayo sa bata. Naturally, the boy chased after it.

"Ugh... Really?" Reklamo ni Yumi.

Since ipinagbilin sa kanya ni Doña Silvanna si Sedric, she would definitely look after him.

So she also chased after him.

Narinig pa niya ang pagtawa ni Victoria sa kanya. But she just ignored her.

***

Nero Navarro had a bad morning.

Well, he actually always had a bad day.

He had a frown in his face as he walked towards the court room sa Governor General's mansion.

He was late for the morning court, he knew it.

Anyway, he was almost there when a ball suddenly hit his leg.

His expression turned more sour as he looked at the ball near him.

Then a boy rushed towards the ball and picked it up.

With a grin on his face, the kid looked up at Nero. Quickly, the kid's smile disappeared at napalitan iyon ng takot.

He began to cower under Nero's eyes.

"Little d... I mean, Sedric..." Yumi almost had a slip and called Sedric as Little Demon. Fortunately, she stopped quickly.

Anyway, she reached the kid who quickly hid behind her.

"Ninang, I am scared." Then he peeked at the man before them.

Yumi looked at the man and saw that he was looking back at her too.

He had a frown which made him looked, indeed, scary at least for kids.

She slightly bowed at the man and tapped Sedric's head.

"It's okay. Let's go back to your Mama."

Both of them turned and walked away.

What Yumi didn't see was the man's expression turned from frowning to a little stunned.

In his mind, he was marveling at the beauty he just saw.

***

Soon, the morning court was adjourned at personal na sinundo ni General Vicente ang kanyang ina at dalawang anak.

Doña Silvanna and Sedric followed them too.

When they entered the court room, they found several people there together with the Governor General.

Yumi assumed that oldest amongst them was the Governor General. The man was sitting at the head of the long table and just like what Victoria told her earlier, he indeed looked intimidating.

"Governor General, this is my family. My mother, Doña Margarita Sybill, and my daughters, Victoria and Mayumi."

"Your daughters? General Vicente, are you sure? What have you done so great to have these fairy like daughters?"

The Great General laughed pleasingly because of this. Well, if there was something he was really proud of, it was his daughters, of course.

"I know, I know."

Then the man's eyes landed on Yumi.

"So, you are Mayumi. I've heard a lot of things about you. Not only from your father but also from my son, Enrico."

Yumi bowed at the Governor General.

"I think they might have just exaggerated their stories about me."

"Don't be too humble, Yumi." Don Enrico, who was one of those people na kasama ng Governor General sa kwarto, interjected to their conversation.

"Kuya, since you are all praised and very much acquainted to this lady, why don't you introduce her to us?" A lady asked Don Enrico.

"Sure, Lavina." Don Enrico agreed. "Doña Margarita, Binibining Victoria and Yumi, these are my siblings.

"Lavina and Isabela, my only two sisters. Then this is Nero, my ninth brother, and then, Sancho. I believed you have met him back in L City some years ago."

They greeted each other as the don introduced them one by one.

But what most of them missed were the secret staring some of them gave to each other.

For example, Nero, who had a chance encountered to meet Yumi outside a while ago, were surprised the moment he saw her entered together with the Great General. And when she was introduced to them, he was a bit attentive to her.

In his mind, he was thinking, 'So her name is Yumi...'

On the other hand, there was also Sancho who had his eyes on Yumi too since she entered with the Great General.

His expression was complicated as if he didn't know exactly what to feel upon seeing her again. The last time he was with Yumi, she and her friend, Kami, had accompanied him in L City but they ended up making him feel weird. It was as if they were testing him or something.

But still he quite felt good upon seeing the lady again.

And lastly, there were Lavina and Isabel. They were unsure how to exactly treat these newcomers. Although they were respectful towards the Great General but still...

"Is it true na fianceè ka ni Deputy General Mateo?" Lavina asked Yumi directly.

"Lavina, don't be rude."

However, that question made several people in the room interested too. Most especially, the Governor General.

"Well, I am curious too. Are you really his fianceè? I only thought na gawa gawa lang niya na may fianceè na siya just to escape his admirers."

Yumi faced the Governor General.

"To answer Governor General's question... It is indeed true."

This stunned those several people.

"Well... It is truly surprising. But then again, as I heard how amazing you are, I guess, Mateo has chosen well. No wonder he never liked anyone of the ladies here in M Capital. It turns out he is already betrothed to you."

Yumi simply nodded to him.

***