Episode 3 - Sincere

Start from the beginning

"Really?" I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "Because if I remember correctly, you were the one that pushed me away."

"And that was a mistake."

I raise an eyebrow, again perplexed.

"Look," he says, "I know I broke your heart. I know that I was selfish and cruel. I hurt you, I know that. I cant even begin to describe how sorry I am. But you have to admit that you were--"

"Don't try to blame me for anything," I say loudly, cutting him off.

"But you have to admit that you were selfish too," Kai says, undeterred.

"I was never selfish," I say, glaring fiercely. "I was only ever thinking about us. Everything I ever did was for us and our family."

"Really?" Kai snaps. "So you weren't being selfish when you tried to kill yourself?"

I let out a tiny, inaudible gasp. Kai's eyes widen, as if he just realized what he had just said.

"Tasha, I'm sorry," he says quickly, but I ignore him, continuing the conversation as it was.

"That was different," I say loudly. "That was a direct result of your selfishness."

"I know," Kai says sadly, "and I'm so sorry."

"Sorry doesn't cut it," I say venomously.

"But why shouldn't it?" he says, frustrated. "What am I supposed to do to make you forgive me?"

"I already told you," I say slowly. "Leave me alone."

With that I turn and walk away.

        ~

A few hours later, we had small tents set up amongst the ruins of the bounty. A campfire burned bright in the middle of the clearing and logs served as benches around them.

"Care to hear a ghost story?" Uncle Wu asks.

"If it means saving Lloyd, of course," Zane says.

"Morro may have been my first pupil, but he was also my greatest regret. Before he was a cursed spirit, it wasn't I who found him, but he who found me. My brother had gone off to train under Master Chen, which gave me time to attempt my hand at teaching. Morro was the perfect student. He did everything that was ever asked of him.

"I had shown him things he had never seen. And he showed me a few things too. He had a power over the Wind I had never seen. He was a descendent of an Elemental master. It was then I thought I had found the one. Perhaps he would wear green."

"Woah, woah, woah!" Jay shouted, interrupting the story. "Back up. You're saying Morro, the Master of Wind, was gonna be the Green Ninja."

Following Jay's words, a strong wind blows through the camp, stoking the fire and making it double its size.

"Uh, did that just happen?" Cole says, glancing around nervously. "Maybe I don't like ghost stories."

"What happened next, Sensei?" Zane asks, ignoring Cole.

"After I told him he could be the Green Ninja, there was a hunger unmatched. There was an arrogance in him. I feared I had made a terrible mistake. But it wasn't for me to decide. It was destiny. When the Golden Weapons didn't respond like they did for Lloyd later, I knew Morro wouldn't be the chosen one.

"I knew right there and then I could not teach those who would not listen. He told me he would find my father's tomb to prove he was worthy. I told him it could not be found. My father had left no message.