19 | i can play too

Nox

"I'm going to go get dressed really quick, so wait up Jimin!" I say after putting out my cigarette and I inwardly cringe at myself for trying my ultimate hardest to sound outgoing.

What has gotten into me? The man already has plans and I just had to jump in so intrusively and for what; just to 'make it up' to him? And what's worse is that he's being the sweetest man alive for not biting my head off or flat out shit talk me for the awful way I treated him yesterday.

But here's the thing, I can't seem to be able to behave around guys like Jimin. The kind that appears to be nice and polite, but even if they actually happen to be decent guys my brain is wired to emphasize on every single detail, the slightest movement or flaw that might seem suspicious. I used to think that Elijah was a good and noble man from the outside, but we all know how that story ended. If there's one good thing I gathered from that hell of a relationship is that I've grown into a cautious woman.

And aggressive.

I guess that I've built up some walls that are difficult to tear, but at this point they've reached the sky. How many people are willing to climb that far up?

"Nox, my car keys are in your house," Ryan suddenly chimes and I gesture him to come in with me as soon as I unlock the door. Once we're both inside he elbows me playfully, "Dude, what was that?"

"What was what?" I ask, heading straight into my bedroom and shutting the door behind me.

"The freaking sparkle in your eyes when you told him you're heading inside."

"What are you talking about?" I open my wardrobe and take out the one and only club dress I wanted to wear for the longest time. "I simply invited Jimin to come with us, because of what I told you before." I quickly shuck off my clothes and replace them with the spaghetti strap punch colored dress that clings on every single curve of my body. I kick into my red heels and finally open the door.

"I think this was you trying to be flirty." He says. "Come on dude. I've known you since I crawled out of the womb. I know how you think."

"And what if I was trying to be flirty?" I huff, not wanting to admit to his keen observation. "Besides, I don't like him like that. He's my neighbor for God' sake. It would be hella awkward."

"I never said you liked him in any way." The edges of his mouth quirk up into a mocking smile and that causes me to elbow him playfully as I grab my purse from the hanger.

"Shut up and let's go."

Once we're out the door, I spot Jimin waiting for us near the water fountain in his buttoned-up baseball shirt that accentuates his good posture and his broad shoulders. One button is left casually undone and I catch a glimpse of his honey-colored skin. Too bad that he's wearing that oversized jean jacket of his. It covers up the beautiful things I was lucky enough to see and feel with my own hands yesterday when I was breaking the knots of stress that burdened his poor muscles. As Ryan and I make our way towards him, his eyes widen as he takes in my pretty little dress and curly hair. In the short time I've known him, he's probably never seen me dolled up and assumed I wore sweatpants and boring t-shirts 24/7.

"Alright, let's go." I grin and with that I dive my hand into my bag, searching for my car keys.

"I'll drive." Jimin says, trying his best to be respectful by looking into my eyes instead of my chest. But then he storms away, with his keys in hand and Ryan flashes me a look when he sees how I'm trying my best to hide my smile.

"Don't like him my ass." He snorts.

Jimin opens the door so that I could sit beside him, while Ryan circles to sit in the back. Rolling up the sleeves of his jean jacket, he fiddles with the keys in his grip and starts the engine when he rests his other arm on the window. He seems relaxed yet somewhat stiff and that results in his breathing to come out a tad shaky. I think that he's a little anxious around me and frankly I can't blame him.