Chapter 14 ~ The Beach

Start from the beginning

"Put these in the 'yes' pile," I heard Kai say with a giggle.

Turning to find him searching through my underwear drawer and holding up a thong made of black lace, my heart leapt out of my throat. Flashing to his side in an instant, I snatched them from him with a sigh.

"Shouldn't you be packing your own things?" I snapped.

"Already done," he replied easily with a smile. "The sooner we get your case packed, the sooner we can leave."

"Well be helpful elsewhere," I sighed. "Can you get the toiletries from my bathroom please?"

He tutted but did as he was told, walking away to let me pack my underwear in peace. It took us only another twenty minutes to get everything packed, both have showers and be ready to leave.

Our suitcases were in the trunk of the car, the cooler box full of blood bags in the footwell of the backseat. Kai got in the driver's seat whilst I jumped into the passenger's.

"Ready?" he asked as he revved the car, eager to drive away from the Lockwood Mansion.

"Get us the hell out of here," I replied with a grin. Kai returned it then pulled out of the driveway.

Music blasted from the speakers, the warm breeze from the open windows filling me with a happiness I hadn't truly felt in a long time. Being half werewolf meant I didn't have to wear a daylight ring to enjoy the sun, and it was the main thing I was grateful to my sire for.

"So what do you think Klaus will say when you eventually get back home?" Kai asked suddenly, as if reading my thoughts.

"Oh," I began awkwardly. "Um, I haven't really thought about it, if I'm being honest."

"Do you think he'll be angry? Or happy to see you again?" he pushed on. Why did he care so much about how Klaus felt?

I blinked. "Uh, both, I guess?"

Kai nodded slowly. "So, if he, like, found out about us, do you think he would try to kill me?"

My jaw dropped. "Kai, where has this come from?"

He shrugged. "I'm just thinking out loud. 'Cause I'll have enough people after my head without needing to add the Original Hybrid to that list."

I scoffed. "Well, first off, there is no 'us' so there isn't anything he needs to know about." Kai side-eyed me but said nothing. "Secondly, how do you know we're even getting out of here?"

"I made a promise to you, didn't I?" he replied. "And I think you and I both know that we're not going to just go our separate ways when we get back. You couldn't even survive a week without me," he teased.

I rolled my eyes, turning my head to look out of the window to hide the redness of my face. "That's because I was completely alone," I muttered. "I'll have plenty of people to distract me in the real world."

"So if I just disappeared from your life, you would be completely fine because you have your friends, family and master?" he shot back.

No. "Yes."

"Oookay," he said sarcastically, elongating the word.

"Look, can we talk about something else?" I sighed. "I was actually feeling pretty good until we started talking about Klaus Mikaelson."

Kai reached out to grab my jaw, turning me to look at him. Noticing the sadness in my eyes, he gulped. "Okay," he said softly, letting go. "Let's talk about something else."

I gave him a grateful smile. "What's the first thing we're going to do when we get to Miami?"

Kai tilted his head in thought. "Well, we can go to an abandoned restaurant?" he offered. "I mean, I'll be the chef but at least the environment will be different."