Epilogue 1

Four months after the end.

It's been four months since I told August I would married him, since then we've only told a few persons. August has progressively become more clingy to me as well, not that I minded.

Everyday for the past 2 weeks I have been reminding August to free his calendar for today and whenever he asked why I would just tell him it's important and he needed to do it.

"Veraa how are you not ready yet? You've been nagging me for weeks about today" August complained while laying on my bed tossing a pillow in the air and catching it .

"Oh my god August looking this good takes time" I taunt.

I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror putting my earrings in when August snaked his hand around my waist and buries his face in the crevice between my shoulder and neck. His hands go a little lower tugging the button of my jeans

"Maybe we can be a little late?" He questioned

I swatted his hand away "No, I'm done come on let's go"

"Let's go? I don't even know where we're going "

"You'll see."

We walk down the stairs talking about pointless things, we were about to finish our descent when loud cursing stopped us in our tracks. I mouthed to August "You go" to which he mouthed back

"No you"

I sighed and stepped down into the living area. In the months that past Iliana's baby bump grew but so did her irritably she was no longer that soft delicate woman I knew.

I paced myself into Jaxon's office

"JAXON, what are you doing?" I questioned

"Hiding?" He questioned back, I roll my eyes.

"Please see about your raging wife"

"She's not my wife... yet" he groans as he passed me heading into the dangers of a pregnant woman, Iliana may be the only one that can instill fear into the leader of the Italian mafia.

I followed closely behind him "So Um" I tried to get both of their attention "Me and August are going out for a bit do you guys want anything?" I stood waiting for a reply and if I'm being honest Iliana kinda scared me too.

"Macaroons" was all she said.

"Got it" I signaled August who was still hiding behind the stairs for us to leave, he gave an awkward smile to Iliana who was now getting her feet rubbed by Jaxon and we escaped outside.

Since August didn't know where were we going I was doing the driving today, he got into the passenger seat of his blue Audi S7 and we left.

Before arriving at the our destination though, I stopped at a small flower shop and got 4 bouquets and some macaroons for my pregnant best friend, I placed them in the back seat and the look of the confusion on August's face made me giggle a bit.

About 12 minutes later I pull into a gated area I rolled the car window down so the guard could see who I was he immediately opened the gate without me having to say a word.

"Ma'am"

"Thank you Jes" I smiled and drove in, the gravel of the unpaved road crunching under the tires

"Ma'am?" August questioned

"We on Di Genova property" my mood turning a bit serious as the granite polished headstones came into my view I stopped the car some distance away. August didn't say anything, he just followed my actions, I got the flowers from the back seat and smiled at him.

"Let's go" I stretched my free hand out to him and he took it interlacing his fingers into mine as we walked under the canopies of the golden chain trees.

I explained to August "My mother always said I would marry a handsome man, I'm here to tell her that she was wrong" he barked out a laugh.

" I thought maybe it was time for you to met her" His eyed the four bouquets sitting in my hand that I was clearly struggling to hold, he took two of them from me when I continued "I can't visit mom without visiting papi I know him, he'll just jealous" I smiled memories of my doting father appearing in my head "The other two are for Enzo and Maeve, they're here too, they may have had ill intent but they're still family and for as long as I can remember all Di Genova family members rest here."

By the time I was finished with my explanation our feet entered the grass part of the cemetery I went to the last row at the third tombstone engraved with ,

Carmella Di Genova 1967- 2004.

Look at the stars and let them remind you,

even in this dark life there is hope. 

I dusted the leafs off and knelled in front of it August standing behind me, I read her quote and smiled silently it was something she always told me as a child, her love for stars never fading even in death.

"Hey mama" I placed a yellow bouquet ranunculus on the base of her headstone "It's been a while, I'm sorry I didn't come earlier but I wanted you to met someone" August kneeled next to me now as I told my mother our story when I was done August spoke

"Mrs. Di Genova, I never got the honor of speaking to you in person but I remember you gardening around the estate as a little boy doing errands, you were a beautiful woman but if I must say I'm afraid your daughter has you beat" I playful hit him he laughed a bit but then his face turned serious as he continued speaking

"I love your daughter ma'am, with every cell in my body and I intend on marrying her, I know she broke her promise to herself and to you to compensate for my selfish love and I promise you that would not go in vain I promise to protect Verena and show her that love is not a weakness but in fact makes you stronger, I swear it."

When he was done he stood back up and placed his hands on my shoulder "You would have like him mama, I'm going to see dad now okay? I love you and miss you so much" I stood up and kissed the top of her headstone and shifted to the one next to it.

Niccolò Di Genova 1965- 2020

43rd boss of the Italian mafia 

My fathers grave didn't have a quote he wasn't that kinda of man, he didn't like to look soft in front of  people that wasn't his family, but I knew him and I knew him as the biggest goofball. I placed some blue tulips on his and spoke to him about August, I told him about Iliana and Jaxon and laughed a bit at some old memories August spoke to him as well, not in the way he spoke to my mother but still it was warming.

When we were done he helped me up and I walked over the far right end of the row where two headstones sat next to each other in insolation away from the rest. I placed one bouquet of red rose on each of their graves and looked at it for a while I said nothing to them before turning away and walking back to the car August trailing behind me.

When we returned to the mansion it was pretty late August and I took and shower together and was now seated on the roof of the estate. August brought me up here to look at the stars, it was a little cold so I was huddled into his side, we spent hours making funny shapes out of the constellations when we saw something special, as fast as it appeared so did it disappear.

"Did you make a wish?" I asked August

"Nope" he replied still looking at the sky.

"Why not" I pouted

He turned to face me and placed a small kiss on my forehead,

"I already have all I can wish for next to me."

___________________

I hope you all find your August or a Vera tbh if you havent already :(
I see a lot of people use ao3 I'm wondering if I should post my stories on their as well? 🤔