Twenty- Seven (ventisette)

The cellar was cold and musty, cobwebs hung in abundance, this place truly hasn't been used for years, I could see why my uncle bought it as a hideout, the hallway was quite large and it only lead to one door, we were sure she had to be in here.

It was already unlatched so we just entered, she was huddled against the corner of the wall hugging her knees, the bonds from her hands and feet were no longer there instead was one shackle on her left foot that connected her to the wall, there was also a gag on her mouth, her skin was cover in soot and small injuries, the blue dress she wore was in tatters.

Her eyes shone with fear at the footsteps but turned over in relief once she saw who they belonged too once again with my silencer on I shot the lock on the shackle. Jaxon was the first one at her side helping her up she used his shoulder for support, my father used the radio to signal the men outside that we got Iliana and would be returning soon.

"To my memory I believe the email said you had a choice you can't have both " two figures walked through the door, I got in front of Iliana shielding her with my body and August did the same for me. They came closer, my eyes widened in dismay

"Maeve.." I stuttered, thought it was nothing more than a whisper she heard me

"Hey cuz" a pause " Oh come on now don't look so surprised did you really think I would betray my own father for yours?"

Before I could respond to her though my father interrupted,

"I didn't think the coward would show up in person" he sneered but his taunts were not directed to Maeve but instead to the silent scruffy man who stood behind her, he was about 5'9 and slightly robust, the old age was well noticeable on his face, his eye the same shade of olive green as my fathers.

"Niccolò is that any way to greet the elder brother you haven't seen for 9 years? I was hope for a warmer welcome" he spoke to my father malice laced his words "What do you want Enzo, the empire isn't mine to give anymore"

"Yes, I know which is exactly why I'm about to take it from your son, I have an heir now to no?"

My attention was back onto Maeve "Why are you following him?" I exclaimed to her "What are you getting out of this?"

She laughed at my question and stepped towards us I rooted myself where I stood I was not going to let her intimate me.

"Well principessa, to put it simply, I want what you have I want back my rightful place as head of mafia women"

I snorted in her face but payed mind to her hostilely, Iliana needed to get out of here I grabbed August's shoulder pulling him back to me, at one moment I was telling him a plan I had to get Iliana out and the other I was half way across the room on my back, I sat up wincing at my throbbing head trying to locate who tackled me I opened my eyes and the whole room spun with the sight in front of me.

My father lay unmoving on the floor in a pool of his own blood I followed the direction the bullet came from and saw my uncle with his hand still pointed out, the gun facing my father then I pieced it all together.

What had happened when I turned to face August, Enzo's bullet was meant for me but my father sensed it and push me out of the way, putting himself as the target, I scrambled to my feet and yelled at August to get him up and out of here, to take him to a hospital, do anything besides kneel there beside him, but August looked up at me his eyes soft and full of sorrow as he just shook his head.

No.

No no no.

My ears were ringing I couldn't think straight anymore, my eyes clouded over in blood lust. I took a deep breath and calmly spoke to August,

"Take Iliana and go"

I turned to my uncle "Let them pass, they have nothing to do with this" He held his hands up at the point of my gun, supporting Iliana on his shoulder August left, leaving my uncle and his daughter with Jaxon and I.

                                                       _______________

yikes rip papi :(