Chapter 40

Joelle's POV                      published: 03/08/2021

                           Once everyone was inside the restaurant, I finally felt safe and calm again. I was uncomfortable that Mark was here, around me, but I didn't want to make a scene and I wanted to spend a good time with my brother.

Everyone took their seats at the table. I sat splat in the middle of Mateo and Grayson. Mark, my mom, and Aaron sat in front of us, on the other side of the table.

"So Joelle, are you interested in studying anything?" Grayson asked me and I looked up at him with a smile.

It felt good that someone other than Sammy asked me that question. It got me excited to talk about it.

"I took a bunch of medical classes in high school, and I wanted to continue studying to maybe become a registered nurse." I explain and he nods his head interested.

I can see the shocked expression on Mateo's face. Aaron not so much, I've talked to him about this before so he already knew.

He takes a drink of his soda and looks back at me. "Is that what you're studying right now?" He asked and I sighed. "No, I'm not studying right now but I want to." I admit and Mateo's head snaps to look at me but I ignore him. "Wait, why aren't you studying? I can make some calls for you if you'd like." He offers but I shake my head. "No no no, it's fine Grayson, I just wanted to take a small break from school is all." I lie.

I did want to go back to study. At first I did want to take a break. But only for a couple months. It's almost been a year.

We continue all the small talk and even make a couple jokes. Everything was going great. Everything is going fantastic. I only wish I had met my older brother sooner rather than later.

———

A Couple Hours Later

Grayson prepared separate rooms for everyone including me and Mateo since he didn't know we were together. I decided I would share a room with Mateo anyways since I was so used to sleeping with him.

I'm unpacking my bags and putting everything away in the closet so I don't have to keep reaching into a bag for my things.

Then I heard someone walk in. I turned and it was just Mateo. He shut the door and dropped his bag on the floor and started walking toward me.

He turned me around to face him and I was shocked. "Hello to you too." I say confused and he arches an eyebrow and backs up. "You never told you wanted to continue your studies." He says and I sigh. "Well you never asked me Mateo, you just assumed." I clap back and he scoffs. "It's fine, it's not a big deal." I tell him and shut the closet doors.

"Yes it is. This is something we need to talk about Joelle." He claims and I turn around smiling. "THIS shouldn't have to be a conversation... if I want to continue with my studies then I will continue them and that's the end of the discussion" I say rolling my eyes. I can tell he's becoming angry and I really don't want to deal with it right now.

"Mateo, what did you expect?" I ask and he shrugs. "I-I don't know... not this." He says and I think. "Did you expect me to just stay at home and live off of your makings?" I ask and he makes a face saying "well... yeah." He said and I couldn't believe my ears.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I ask sarcastically and he nods. "This is why communication is good. This is why we have to ask questions and then talk about it Mateo. Not just assume and control the situation shaping it into your liking." I say and sit on the bed.