Chapter 19

Joelle's POV published: 02/24/2021

I always loved seeing the good in things. But sometimes something or someone, was so dark on the inside, that not even the brightest light would be able to find what is so good about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't think twice. I grabbed his gun.

And two shots were fired.
- ———   ———   ——-   ———   ———   ———   ——— -

I screamed in pain when the bullet hit my shoulder. I fell side to side with Aaron and I couldn't see where my bullet hit him.

I didn't care much about it though. Right now, I needed to get Aaron help, and soon. I hesitantly checked for his pulse. It was faint, but it was there... he was there. I firmly pressed my hand on his bullet wound. It hurt me like a bitch! Considering my bullet wound in the shoulder, but I don't care.

After a few minutes, I heard some hurried steps come to a final stop at the light of the huge metal door.

I looked up and saw Mateo. I wanted so badly to just run up to him and hug him, but I couldn't risk Aaron for something that selfish.

"What the fuck happened?" He said looking to the side of him and then over to me. I was crying at this point. "Aaron f-found me and then Axel shot h-him... and I got Aaron g-gun and," I struggled so badly to say. Mateo watched me intensely as I explained to him. "I shot him Mateo, h-he shot me in the shoulder." I cried harder. I didn't want to be the cause of anyone's death, but he shot Aaron. And now he's hurt badly.

I began sobbing and Mateo pulled me away and took my place, holding down on Aaron's wound. "Grab my phone and call an ambulance, it's in my back pocket.. Joelle hurry!" He shouted and I didn't hesitate.

I gave the person on the other line the situation that happened and our location. They arrived about 10 minutes later.

The sirens. The sirens is what I heard from now so far away now.

They rushed Aaron into a gurney and put him and me in the back of an ambulance rushing to the hospital. Mateo took his own car.

On the way out of this horrendous building, I looked down and saw a dead Axel with a bullet right in between his idiotic eyes. I killed him. I did that.

———

When we arrived, they rushed Aaron into surgery and one of the doctors helped take out my gullet and clean my wound.

'They found me.' Is what was stuck on my mind. I spent a day there and learned how dangerous our world really is. 'How many people have they done that to? We're there more people there, where I was being held?'

———

I walked myself to the waiting area and I saw Mateo standing there in all his glory. I swallowed back any fear and practically ran into his arms. I hugged him tightly and he hugged me back.

"I was so scared Mateo!" I cried and he rubbed the small of my back. He kissed my forehead and held my face in his hands. "I know baby, I know." I pouted and looked at him. "But I'm here now. And I'm not EVER going to let someone take you from me like that ever again, do you understand?" I nodded and he raised an eyebrow. "I understand." I looked away feeling guilty and he sure noticed. "What's wrong chaparrita?" I looked at him. 'Was it weird that I actually missed him calling me that?' I smiled a small smile and turned to him. "If I just told you about the video the moment I found out, none of this would have happened." I admired and his face somewhat softened, but some looked upset. "Listen to me, what happened happened, he would have came looking for you no matter what. And this whole situation would have happened anyways. Don't blame yourself, it helps no one." He advised me and I felt better. Not completely. I still felt guilty, but not as much.

"Do you think he'll survive?" I asked Mateo after a while of silence. He looked down at me in his lap and sighed. (I was laying on his lap, like my head) "He's one of my strongest men Joelle." He informed me. I sat up and looked at him. "That's not what I asked." I felt frustrated. He looked at me and his face held worry and pain.

"You don't think he's going to make it." He looked away and put his face in his hands. I sat there leaning in my chair. "He's going to survive! Because... I begged him not to leave me, and if he leaves me.. then I don't know what I'll do if he dies. So he's going to make it! He still has so much to do!" I cry out and he stares at me.

———

Mateo's POV

This beautiful woman standing next to me, asked me if I thought Aaron was going to survive. And honest, I don't. The bullet was too deep and he lost way too much blood.

"He's going to survive! Because... I begged him not to leave me, and if he leaves me.. then I don't know what I'll do if he dies. So he's going to make it! He still has so much to do!" She started ranting. I knew it would absolutely destroy her if he died.

"Did you know he wants to go skydiving?!" I turn and face her. She has tears running down her face. "It's true! He told me. He showed me his bucket list... he has a bucket list Mateo!" She laughed in pain. This was hurting her. They have gotten extremely close. She saw like a brother. "He said he wanted to get married.." she trailed off and I shot my eyes toward her. "He said, 'I want to get married to a beautiful, kind, and funny woman... and then I want to have two beautiful kids with her, a boy and a girl.' He wants a family Mateo!" She went on and on about his bucket list. She memorized everything.

"Mateo, I've never had family. Him, you guys felt like my family. I can't lose him." I took her into my embrace. She only cried and cried.

I wish I could take her pain away, but all I could do is wait. Wait for the doctor to give us an update.

Joelle's POV

I went on and on about Aaron and all the things he loved. All the things he's told me. Mateo just sat and listened. Comforting me. Holding me. Waiting with me.

A few hours later a doctor came out.

"Doctor, how is he?" He told me to sit down but I didn't listen.

"There's good and bad news." My heart dropped. I only wanted good news.

Mateo took a deep breath and stood forward. He was next to me holding on to my arms. "Tell is the good news and then bad news doctor." I looked at him and then back at the doctor.

"Well, the good news is, that the surgery went well and we successfully got the bullet out and cleaned the wound, he survive." The doctor told us.

"The bad news?" I asked. I really didn't want the doctor to tell us, but we had to know.

He took in a breath and spoke, "the bad news is, the bullet hit his nervous system that connects throughout his whole body, meaning... he's in a coma and we don't know if or when he's going to wake up." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~