Chapter 28

Joelle's POV published: 02/28/2021

Weeks have passed since I apologized to the boys. I also got them to apologize to each other as well. Now everything was back to normal. See where you can get when you become the bigger person?

———

"Oh my god!" Sammy shouts in the living room. "We should do a double date!!!" I smile at her and Mateo shouts from his office. "Absolutely not!" I roll my eyes and wink at her, "I'll convince him." We giggle and once again Mateo shouts, "No you won't!"

I narrow my eyes toward the door. 'How tf can he hear everything that goes on in this house bro?' I think to myself and drag Sammy upstairs to mine and Mateo's bedroom.

"Is it clean to sit on?" Sammy ask and I roll my eyes. "According to last night... no." I tease her and she makes a disgusted face. "Gross." She mutters and I laugh. "You act like you don't have sex with Erik." I laugh and she nods, "oh we do, plenty and plenty and plenty of se..." she doesn't finish her sentence due to Mateo walking in.

He's very protective of her. Sammy is his baby cousin and he doesn't want her 'giving herself to anyone' as he said it. It's so funny to me because, me and Sammy are the same age, yet he doesn't want her to do thing that him and I do.

"Plenty of what Sammy?" He asks and I give her a look that says, 'you're dead.' She becomes nervous and tries finding an excuse. "Plenty... ummm.. plenty seafood!" She shouts and I try my hardest not to laugh. "Yes, they have plenty and plenty and plenty of seafood." I mock her and she scolds me.

"Seafood?" He turns to me and I look away quickly. He grabs my face and makes me look at him. "Is that what you guys were talking about Joelle?" I turn to Sammy who is shitting her pants. So am I by the way. We were scared because I have a habit of biting my inner cheek when confronted like this. "I-Of course! What else would we be talking about?" I lie and stare into his eyes as he studies my face. 'Don't bite. Don't bite. Don't bite.' I hold myself back and finally he turns away from and I mentally let out a relieved sigh.

He turns away and I look over at Sammy. We both smirk evilly but he then turns quickly back to us making us straighten up.

"Sammy, just take care of yourself okay? Make sure he's not taking advantage of you because I will kill him, if he hurts my baby cousin in any way." He states and walks out. I'm assuming back to his office.

Sammy and I look over at each other impressed. She punches my arm and I wince. "What did you do to my cousin?" She and I both laugh. "Light work!" I praise myself.

———

Sammy decided to go back about an hour later. I was going to be bored now. Aaron wasn't home and Mateo was working in his office.

'Ouuu, maybe I should go distract him!' Before I go down, I start admiring myself in the mirror. 'I'm so much hotter in Mateo's clothes than he is.' I think and giggle to myself. I was wearing some tight shorts and his hoodie.

We share a closet so, what's his is mine and what's mine is mine. Period.

I jump up excited and start going down the many steps. I stop at the bottom step when I hear two voices in Mateo's office.

Aaron and Mateo were talking about something. I stand closer to the door so I could listen.

"You haven't told Joelle yet?" Aaron asks and I am now full on ears. "No, she's not ready yet." 'What am I not ready for?' I think to myself. "She can't even beat me in training yet." He says and I scoff. 'I'm close though!' I'm about to barge in but Aaron continues to speak. "Mateo, I don't think she's ever going to be 'ready'!" He sighs and so does Mateo. "You saw how her parents treated her, imagine when she finds out the rest!" Mateo shouts and bangs on his desk. "She'll be devastated." Aaron says lowly.

This is annoying. Whatever information they have concerns me. They don't have the right to decide what I'm ready or not ready to hear yet.

I open his office doors and both their eyes focus on me. "What am I not ready to know Mateo?!" I shout walking toward him. He stands up and Aaron continues to sit. "You shouldn't eavesdrop baby it's not polite." Is all he says and I roll my eyes. "I don't care what's polite or not right now. You have something you need to tell me!" I shout. I look at Aaron and he looks full on worried. "So tell me!" I shove Mateo and he groans. "I can't Joelle!" He shouts and I'm starting to get mad. "How can you not tell me something that concerns me, or my parents?!" Aaron's head switches to Mateo and they lock eyes. "You heard everything?" Aaron says and I nod.

"Joelle please, just be patient. You will know soon enough." He takes my hands in his to calm me down but I only swap them away. "Soon when? When I beat you in training?" I ask and he looks away. "We both know that won't happen!" I shout and he slams his desk and I shut up.

"DAMMIT JOELLE!" He shouts in pure anger now. I flinch in fear and he stares holes into me. "Aaron leave." He demands and Aaron obeys him.

Once Aaron left his office, he quickly sat back down. I sat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. "Mateo, please.. I want to know. If I'm not ready then you'll be right, but.." he cuts me off by holding his finger up. "There are no buts Joelle. This information will hurt you. You will feel cheated." He confesses and I shake my head. "I don't care. I can take it." He sighs and gives in.

"Fine. But it's a long story." He says. "And I'm going to have to tell you something about my childhood that I don't like talking about."

I can tell I'm not going to like this story. He looks scared to tell me. As if I'm this fragile little thing that will break any second. Then I think about his past. I don't know much about his past, especially his childhood. This isn't going to hurt only me. It's going to hurt him to talk about too.

'I'm ready.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~