Chapter 3

Joelle's POV                     published: 02/18/2021

     I watched as my best friend disappeared deeper and deeper into the crowd of people not taking one glance back at me.

It kind of pissed me off. How could she leave me alone with a man I don't even know.

I thought I knew all about her, but apparently she was hiding something huge from me this whole time.

———

"Okay chaparrita, let's go." He says more like a demand, but I decide to take it as an offer. "No thanks!" I try walking away from him but next thing I know I'm being thrown over his shoulder.

I squirm around and try fighting his back but he was too strong and apparently was not having my little attitude. I looked around and saw everyone just watching us. 'Why isn't anyone helping me?!' I grow frustrated and pound Mateo's back. "Hellooooo!" I shout to everyone but they just go back to what they were doing. Clubbing.

Mateo growls and slams the door shut, I'm guessing to a private room. He slams me on a fluffy couch and I grunt.

"It's really sad that you have no idea who I am because I could seriously end your life right here... right now." He spoke seriously. I swallowed back my fear and refused to let him see. "Yeah? And what will all the people who just saw you bring me in here think?" I smirk.

I think I've won this argument until he starts laughing. Then my smile drops.

"Have you heard of the Santos, a mafia led by Mateo Santos?" The second he asked me that question, it all clicked.

'Fuck!' I was sitting in a room alone with the most feared and ruthless man in the area. And I disrespected him!

'Way to go Joelle! I still have to stand my ground, not like Aaron' I think to myself.

"I actually have every idea of who you are now.. I remember my parents watching the news about you a few years ago." I admit. It wasn't a lie.

———
When I was around 15, I had come down stairs for a snack and noticed that my parents were watching T.V. together. I walked towards them and heard a woman speaking. "Mafia leader Mateo Santos was here last night and made sure it was known." She spoke. And then proceeded to show some horrible pictures of dead people who I'm assuming Mateo killed.

It was a good 3 men that were killed.
———

I sigh and stare into Mateo's dark eyes and notice he had a huge smirk on his face. "A-Are you going to kill me then?" I hesitantly ask.

I didn't actually want to know the answer but I had to distract him enough to plan how I'd get out of here.

I look around the room and there's no where except for the door that he was already standing at to escape from.

"No, I'm not going to kill you. And stop trying to find a way to escape chaparrita you're not going anywhere." This man coldly said and I felt his stare begin to be imprinted on me. "Then what?!"

Mateo cackles in amusement watching me become frustrated and desperate. "Is the car outside and ready to leave?" He spoke into a mic in his ear. I think. Well I guessed. He nodded and opened the door. "Are you leaving already boss?" One of the guys who were with Sammy earlier asked. 'Boss? That's kind of funny'

"Yes, come Joelle." It was the first time he said my name. And for some reason it sounded strange to me. I hung my head low and walked toward him.